Skyline Owners Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I recently joined the skyline club and got myself an R33 gtst with almost no mods.
I am however having issues where the car cuts out when driving. First time this happened was when returning from Wales and it died after 2 hours of driving. Now it seems to be more common however no real pattern yet.
If I try to drive straight away it will die pretty quickly, however if I let it idle for 5 mins I don't seem to have any issues on short trips. The car will start again so the battery isn't completely dead and has been checked.

After taking it to my local garage we have noted a few things that may cause the issue.

First of all, the alternator was replaced but only kicks out 13.6 volts when idle. Is this too low? I was assuming I'd need 14.5v

The main power cable from the front to the battery in the back was replaced by a gibbon and required repairs to the terminals. However I feel the cable is still too thin.

Lastly, the battery seems huge and has a starting power of 600amps. Could this battery reduce the output of the alternator to the rest of the car?

I have changed the coolant temperature sensor so it runs a little smoother now but nothing else so far apart from checking all the grounds etc.

What I'm looking for is some advice about the alternator and if I need to refurb/bump up the power or simply replace and battery specs required as there seems to be a huge host of varying ideas.

Thank you in advanced!

Alan.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Sorry My bad.
Having the same issue
Test drove it, got it home, drove it a few hours on Tues, then Thurs dies and wont start.
I have fuel and spark. Going to be ordering the usual suspects today

·
Registered
104 Posts
I usually get 13.6 to 13.8 so this shouldnt be a problem and if it dies just like that its surelly not the problem.
Battery values hm, many people with "normal" vehicle setup go for a varta with 40 to 44 Ah which should be good choice for you to find out if your battery could be part of the problem. Its an ok battery if you ask me and ok for the price, so in any case you can leave it in your car afterwards. ( FYI I usually go for Optima yellow top batteries, costs a lot but IMHO totally worth it )

To me, and like you said, it sound pretty much like an earth problem, but thats hard to tell.
Just out of curiousity, did you blink the error codes and got a result? Thats usually the first thing I do if a new **** comes up, since its fast and regards a lot of possible things in your car.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a similar problem that just started last night. Had driven for about 4 hours when it started stalling when I apply gas. If I hold the gas steady at just above idle it runs fine. I'm thinking a possibly weak vacuum hose? I've checked them all and can't find the culprit. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry I've not come back to this recently.

I've done lots of work to the car and it's kinda running well now. Currently battling a timing belt issue but that's another story.

Turns out it was a combo of some small leaks, a very thin battery cable that couldn't cope with the amps and even a missing shim on my alternator causing it to be twisted slightly!

Now I'm running the same 600amp battery with all new cables and it's not died since. unless you count the fuel pump dying!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts