Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at my first car and have about 7k to throw, any recommendations for a fun car would be appreciated. As well as advice with certain import sites.

·
Registered
50 Posts
@KirbyRaze Hi hows it going? I'm in the UK so a long way away, but after a quick look I could't find a Skyline over there for less than $12K. I would not recommend a Skyline as a first car (though it seems to happen in Australia) they're pretty powerful even stock (bit much for a new driver) and can be temperamental due to their age. I'm not one for promoting over reliance on toys like ABS and traction control etc but many of these beasts don't even have airbags so if you crash hard it tends to be bloody sore if not fatal. Maybe try looking at something from the early 00's? you get comfort, a decent safety package, affordability, mostly better fuel economy, parts availability and more carefree motoring. More time spent having fun on the road and learning the ropes rather than swearing at a busted unit that's gonna be a pain to find bits for before you can even start to fix the bugger.

£7K is enough to buy a damn good car. Or an OK car with money left over to treat it to a few upgrades ;) Not going to make any suggestions as the US has a lota different cars than us and I've noticed that what is seen as a cool/reliable car over here isn't always the same to own over there but have a look round see what moves you. It doesn't have to be anything special you can make it special with a bit of imagination and work.

First car is gonna be fun no matter what it is, starting to drive is fun in itself. I ran a 1.7L Vauxhall Astra Estate I got for nothing from a friend who abandoned it under a tree for a year. Needed a bit of work but after welding on a set of arches changing a cv joint and replacing the "trunk", cleaning the heck outa the interior fitting a DVD player some nice wheels (OZ) seat covers and finally a coat of matt black paint I had myself a toy (guy actually wanted it back when he saw it). I did crash it and had to fix it again but it was cheap as and easy to do. Me and my friends had great times in that old bucket. Eventually I swapped it for a keyboard and bought a beat up old 1.9L turbo Golf (the beggining of a love affair with VW Golfs) for £200. That was another heap of fun, never gave much trouble easy to fix as well but a good bit more power. From there I kinda went for nicer wheels mostly though i had a couple of beat up old things for work/just having fun with. I've had a mk4 R32 Golf and now I've got a Skyline, these things are great but hell there is a lot to be said for a car that if you wreck it it doesn't matter a damn, you can have a lota fun with a car you don't really have to worry about too much.

Parts for fast/fancy cars cost a bomb, you gota look after them, they cost more to run and insure, the cops are often watching you, people try to steal them or parts of them, people like to vandalize them and worst of all nauseating fat men will approach you in car parks and waste your time asking stupid questions or even worse giving you detailed opinions on a car they have never owned and in fact know very little about. These thing are a source of great personal pride, thrills and no end of amusement but also a source of worry, toil and heartache as well. Save that crap for later and enjoy the freedom of the open road for a while dude...and here's a tip for later, once you destroy your first fast car DO NOT BUY A VAUXHALL ZAFIRA AS A STOP GAP! It is like driving sadness itself!!!😔

1 - 2 of 2 Posts