Skyline Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
yeah i know ...... i wanted a gtr engine aswell but cant get one for decent money

myself and a few mates have decided to go to the nurburgring in march this year.

ive got a s14.5 200sx with a rb25det running around 400bhp and a mr2 turbo running 720bhp but didnt want to smash either of them up with them being a little tail happy ,having never owned a AWD i fancied building one for the occasion and of corse with the credit crunch on a budget !!!

O yeah and i work at a garage CRISP TUNING (wakefield) that specialize in jap/ performance cars so if anyone wants the same building let me know . best see if this works yet though

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The project car .....

I put a post out on the sx owners club asking for a shell i didnt want to go out and spend a fortune on a 200 because im not using much from it

some nice chap said he had this in the way he was only keeping it for the number plate but couldnt get it off the car because it has to be taxed and mot'd etc... but with no engine ,gearbox front wheels, interior that was not going to happen so......The deal was i got the car for free but when its all legal again he get the plate . everybody wins eh lol

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The doner car .....

i bought this whole skyline to use the engine and other bits to help with the conversion . Yes its the one thats breaking on ebay ,im trying to get some money back on the bits i dont need but with a fully driving car i shouldnt be short of that many parts

yeah i bought a bumped one because its cheaper than a minter but it was such a light crash that the radiator still had all its coolant in and the aircon was still gased

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i removed all the bits from the engine bay of both cars i thought if i started on the front suspension and mounting the gtr subframe the rest would be simple having done 200sx rb25det conversions before the front shafts is the only real differance

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
front suspension

having a good look at the front suspension there was no good way of using half sx or half skyline so i only have one option all skyline !

with the skyline being double wish bone and the sx not the chassis were completely differant i set out trying to make some mounting points
this failed trying to get them lined up with no data points was not goint to work so i thought of two options, copy the full race conversion in america where they used 300zx supension that just bolted to strut with a plate or my idea stitch the skyline towers into the sx

this seemed perfect because if i modify the chassis and use standard suspension if/when i bump it it will be easy and quick to fix

it was very hard but after a few .... days in the garage this was the outcome

now the shockers mounted and the wishbone arms in my head all i had to do was bolt up the front subframe ..... this seemed simple in my head if a gts one bolts up on an sx then maybe a gtr one does ..... NO it does not

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
looking good bud should be a interesting projet what bhp do you want to get out of it
ive got a 386bhp sx weighing 1139kg with a rb25det in it feels quite fast so if this is about the same id be happy so i need ..... 450-500 with running 4x4?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The cars fully rolling with the engine in just on with the gearbox I'm just a few steps behind on here so stay tuned I'll catch up through the week

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
ive got a nissan stagea engine with 4x4 sump gtr doesnt align up all the bolt holes on the rb25 then and converted it to manual with a gtr gearbox not sure what power the front diff will handle but atleast its made for this engine , i can see me getting this all built then having a quick drive and throwing a full gtr engine in or if its good rb30 but when its finished a gtr lump will just bolt in anyhow which is a bonus

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
its not for sale i was just asking what they thought it would be worth because i want a s15 version already but not if im going to lose to much .
ive heard rising sun are on with a s13 same kind of thing ? id like to see theres might swap idea's haha

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The subframe

so the gts subframe bolts straight on i know this from the rb sx RWD conversions ive done so i thought atleast a few holes would be the same but ....no
I thought of a cheating way to align this i went down to my local scrap yard and to my bonus they have 2x gtr's and 2x gts-t's so with my tape measure i set to work
i took loads of data points from the 4 mounting holes on a gts to the bulkhead and front panel etc.. then went to a gtr and marked the same holes on that, i could then workout where the 8 gtr holes needed to be in relation to the original 4 holes eg. the rear hole was 10.9cm further back on the gtr from the rear hole on the gts (dont quote me on that its writen down at the garage and im at home by now ,rubbish memory!!)
Knowing the 4 hole on the gts where in the same position as the 4 on the 200sx i marked out and drilled away.
They lined up perfect god knows how lol , i also drilled the holes bigger at the top dropped a hollow tube down and welded that up then ground it flat so the box section didnt crush when tightened
the the subframe was on ...just like that

now ive found another problem

the sx steering rack doesnt mount on the gtr subframe it not tight enough (to thin) and the shaft is to long and at the wrong angle plus im sure it would hit the front diff so i fitted the gtr rack shortened the shaft and built it all up it works but when you spin it from lock to lock you can feel a slight tight then free ,this ment the uj was at to much of an angle ,i modified the triangle clamp on the subframe to allow the rack to twist round abit which solved it

1 - 20 of 40 Posts