Skyline Owners Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2 Nights ago i went over a pot hole, causing a short circuit. As a result, i had to tow it from the break down location to the nearest auto electrician who did jack all, then had to tow it again to another mechanic who found out the wiring for the steering wheel has been damaged and also the ECU unit being blown. Cost of this was already $1000. BUT later i found out the $1500 advanti rims were cracked from the impact, so i now have to get new set of wheels for $1500.

This all was caused by the BLOODY **** SUSPENSIONS i had from the previous owner in japan before importing.

I would like to prevent this incident from happening again by replacing the suspensions. Would there be any CHEAP ones you guys would recommend? Should i use coil overs?

·
bla
17,374 Posts
Can you not claim???? Its the councils fault for not having the road built properly...???

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, well i was trying to claim from the council but its a highway which the state government had responsibility for which have made things more complicated. Also i found out that it would take more than a month for solutions from claims, and most likely i've been told it might fail.

I just cannot wait for that long for a doubtful claim, so im planning on just paying it myself. Had to also pay $300 towing each time which ended up to be $600. In total i would of spent more than $3000, i could of done major mods on my car with this much.

·
bla
17,374 Posts
id go with the claim.... theres a high chance that you will win....

·
Registered
208 Posts
I think you'll find that the pothole shook around his car so hard that the wiring and ECU were damaged by it.

That's a painful total bill for one overlooked hole in the road :(

·
confused.com
6,592 Posts
its just the "ittl be dificult/ you may loose line" you get asll the time ..persue it ... they were at fault ..they have a duty to ensure the roads are up to standard.....and you shouldnt have to pay this outta your pocket .....if the pothole wasnt there you wouldnt have a damaged car ....and id get photos before they fill it in .....ask if anyone else has hit it and get a few of you in on the case ...see what happens

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey i just wanted to make sure that this mechanic ain't ripping me off. Could you guys please point out any doubts if you have on the mechanical faults they are telling me.

1. Due to the hard impact frorm a pothole and **** suspensions, the wiring underneath connecting to the steering wheel has been damaged.

2. The damaged wires caused a short circuit.

3. Due to the short circuit, the ECU Unit has BLOWN!

4. And now the mechanics say the "Motherboard" is ruined too, so they have to get a whole new rebuilt ECU unit imported.

Mechanic says to rebuilt this ECU unit usually costs about $2500, but his giving it to me at a price of $800. Is this correct??

Also does the sequence of causes make sense to you most hands on guys??

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What im extremely worried about is, DO YOU GUYS THINK THERE IS ANYTHING ELSE DAMAGED FROM THE HARD IMPACT OF POTHOLE?

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Let me get this straight.........
you hit a pothole, and your car immediately cut out?
You now have a damaged wheel, a short circuit on the steering column, and a blown ECU?

Did all the electrics die, or just the engine? Did it cut out immediately, or did it sputter and die?
In some cars, hitting a hard bump can activate the fuel pump cut off device, but I don't think the Skyline has one.

Modern ECU's are very robust systems, I personally don't buy the burnt out ECU story. More likely the ignition plug on your steering column has come loose on the impact, cutting power to the ECU.

I would take the ECU out and try it in another car, or even just pop the lid on it and smell and look for any circuit damage.

In any case, provided your covered fully comp this sort of thing should be covered. Ask your insurance co for advice.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It cut out immediately, but not ALL ELECTRICS were dead. Just couldn't start the engine up due to the short.

My **** ass insurance company wants me to pay $2300 excess fee, so i would rather pay $2200 to fix it :)

Could there be any other damages from this "Impact" or "Short on Steering" or "ECU Blow up"??????????

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I cannot find exact rims for the advanti ones i had, as it was imported with the car from japan. So im replacing all of them, and no it cannot be welded as they said it'd be dangerous.

Also i've tried to avoid the pothole, but i was in the middle lane where 2 cars were right beside me so i could not dodge.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts