Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
'NISMO' 350GT
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Skyline is dead - my R32 has served me well over the last 10 years but the day has come where it is uneconomical to keep throwing money at her to keep her on the road. The upshot of this is I am now looking for a new Skyline. I have a budget of up to £7k and the 350gt has rather grabbed my attention. I have seen a few for sale - none local - and am looking for some advice from those of you who own one or have done.
I don't mind auto or manual so that's not a problem, but I have seen a couple that have paddle shifts behind the wheel - advantages? Is this an upgrade?
What is the road tax situtaion? I assume it is top rate? £500 per year? Also, I did a 'comparethemarket' and the registration number didn't find a 350gt, only a 350z - is insurance comparable?
Any advice would be most welcome.

fanks muchly :)

·
Super Moderator
8,969 Posts
Road tax for most is £250 unless its been registered incorrectly, insurance is high as they are classed as group 20 due to high/unavailable body panel costs, so they get written off for minor damage, but its going to be dependent on your age.

Other than that they are great cars, basically a 350Z in different clothing.

·
'NISMO' 350GT
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Road tax for most is £250 unless its been registered incorrectly, insurance is high as they are classed as group 20 due to high/unavailable body panel costs, so they get written off for minor damage, but its going to be dependent on your age.

Other than that they are great cars, basically a 350Z in different clothing.
Thank you for your swift reply! Was about to PM you :)
I am 48 so hopefully age is not that important - no convictions etc. I pay £500ish for my 32 anyway.
Sounds like I should go the GT direction then. Is the paddle shift an add-on, and is it worthwhile? Are there upgrades worth looking out for?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Thank you for your swift reply! Was about to PM you :)
I am 48 so hopefully age is not that important - no convictions etc. I pay £500ish for my 32 anyway.
Sounds like I should go the GT direction then. Is the paddle shift an add-on, and is it worthwhile? Are there upgrades worth looking out for?
the paddle shift add-ons would be aftermarket, i would imagine the quality would vary based on the kit and the installation

upgrade wise there are a few cosmetic things you can do cheaply to put your own mark on the car. doing something big to the engine (forced induction) isn't something you'd be able to do within your 7K budget unless you bought a dirt cheap car

·
Super Moderator
8,969 Posts
I have a few years on you guys, and I used to pay £500 for a modded 350GT.

·
FTO
33 Posts
Ouch, sounds like Insurance is a bit more there. I'm 32 and if I convert the currency its about £400 in New Zealand.

Only had mine 6ish weeks but loving it, think I made the right call. Also I thought paddle shift was going to be great (previois car) but actually preferred the regular shift down by the gears. It's occasionally handy though.

·
Highland/North Scotland Area Rep
4,159 Posts
I didn't spend £7k on mine and it's a manual too but I have spent a bit since I bought it getting it the way I want it so maybe that price isn't far off..

Manuals for good money are out there..
I'm about £460 for a years insurance with a-plan, road tax is £250 for a year.
Phone proper import insurance like aplan and Adrian flux etc, the car isn't a z, and shouldn't be insured as one.

Spend time looking and you can find a cracking car, you won't regret it !!

·
Registered
107 Posts
I don't think you would regret getting one, I haven't.

I'm 45 and insured with elephant £480

Depending on the mileage and wether it's already been done check for faulty drop links and banana arm bushes and make sure you check the windows are operating normally as windows are a common problem.

Apart from that there solid motors

·
Registered
193 Posts
My 350gt auto/trip is up for sale if you are interested its got 90000kms.on the clock its got a cobra exhaust, momo shift nob, upper front strut bar, plenum spacer custom decor including under the hood 19" forged wheels,mot and service history great condition

·
'NISMO' 350GT
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My 350gt auto/trip is up for sale if you are interested its got 90000kms.on the clock its got a cobra exhaust, momo shift nob, upper front strut bar, plenum spacer custom decor including under the hood 19" forged wheels,mot and service history great condition
could you PM me details please. I am looking at a heavily modded one at present, but want to keep my options open :)

·
Registered
386 Posts
Wow I think I've got a good insurance price with a-plan then! I'm 28 4yrs ncb (no accidents) I live in south London and it was £590 with free wheel cover.

The car is definitely worth the purchase, I used to have an R33 GTST and I'm definitely happy with the GT so far.. It's just a little too quiet when you push but that's easily solvable

1 - 14 of 14 Posts