Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys,

Wondering if any of you have experienced anything similar to my current dilemma.

Background:
2003 VQ35DE 77k. Engine rebuild at 62k following piston rings failure.

I had all lifters/buckets reset and most replaced around 900 miles ago. This was an attempt to illuminate the horrible tapping noise that I had however, after the garage carried out these works, I did run smoother but the tapping/clicking noise was still present.

The garage then suggested that the next item was probably the vvt sprockets. So I bought new sprockets and had these installed. Problem solved and engine running smooth as silk. Not cheap but for both sets of works but happy that she was purring nicely and very responsive after a further Dyno tune (had installed Berks hi-flow cats after my last tune up so it really needed it).

So, 700 miles of trouble free motoring and no oil consumption later whilst returning home from Windsor (250 mile round trip, included in the 700 miles), I suddenly lost power and a horrible clunking/ pinging noise developed just 1 mile from getting home. This was coupled with a rough idle.

Car didn't stall but only managed to limp home on minimum revs slowly coasting (that was Tuesday).

Saturday morning I decided to investigate and pulled the plugs, reset and cleaned and re- installed. No change.

The pinging noise is predominantly coming from under and rear of the plenum. I'm a bit stumped so before I start to strip the top down to see what is going on, do any of you have any thoughts on what this symptom could be?

Unsure if it's the fuel damper (still original fitted) as I have never come across this but it doesn't really sound like it could be.

See video.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Andy

·
Super Moderator
9,067 Posts
Buy your initial description I would have suggested the fuel damper but on hearing the video I don't think that's the problem, it sounds like half engine speed so would indicate valve train to me, although the noise is not as rhythmic as I would expect, but at a guess it sounds like its spat a valve bucket shim, but I don't think they had shims?
Sounds like you may have been better off fitting a SH motor or doing an engine swap.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Buy your initial description I would have suggested the fuel damper but on hearing the video I don't think that's the problem, it sounds like half engine speed so would indicate valve train to me, although the noise is not as rhythmic as I would expect, but at a guess it sounds like its spat a valve bucket shim, but I don't think they had shims?
Sounds like you may have been better off fitting a SH motor or doing an engine swap.
Thanks for the response Ricky.

Nope no bucket shims.

Engine swap may have been the way to go but I'm too invested in this engine to take that root now.

It's pretty frustrating as I've spent thousands on the rebuild and even more money trying to get this engine running right which included twice removing the timing chains and renewing all tensioners, guides etc. Followed by the lifters (buckets) adjusted/ renewed and then the vvt sprockets replaced. So can't really move on to further upgrades atm or have the option to give up on this engine.

Think I'll do a compression test and see what that throws up prior to striping the top down.

For all I know it could be a bent valve or something bouncing around in the rocker covers. Time will tell.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update! Finally found the issue after removing the rocker covers as I had plenty of compression, spark and fuel (I did send off all injectors to be ultrasonically cleaned and serviced just to make sure I didn't have any issues there).

Sadly the real issue derived from a lack of care by the garage I took my car to which replaced/reset the camshaft buckets (thought this was the issue causing the ticking noise at idle that I had but turned out to be the VVT sprockets which
a month later I had them replaced by the same garage, Not that I was not capable of doing any of this work but simply just don't have the time and my lovely other half gets a bit annoyed at the time I spend in my garage so just paid up and not cheap!).

Basically ALL the left bank camshaft brackets were only tighten up to the second pass of approximately 5.8Nm and the final torque down stage of 9Nm - 11.8Nm was missed (checked all brackets with a manual old school torque wrench). Unfortunately the lack of torque down caused bracket No. 4 to come severely lose causing one of the bolts to snap and consequently the camshaft itself snapped also.

Pretty peed off with the whole thing but I guess the lesson is, if you want something done properly then do it yourself, if you can of course. So instead of spending the cash and enjoying my car and family as intended, I ended up spending quite a few late nights in my garage and the car off the road for nearly a month (just lack of time!)

Anyhow, glad to report that she now purrs perfectly once again and also added a catch can and additional intake pipe to lower part of the air box so all good, just s shame it wasn't a cheap fix Stage 2 cams aren't cheap for these cars) and the garage didn't follow through with their initial communication of returning some labour costs and paying for the parts stating that "there all experienced techs and the they take pride in what they do" which I honestly get and would not of taken my car to them otherwise. It just so happens that a human error occurred (sh*t happens) but they just won't admit to it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts