Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I'm new here as a poster, but have been lurking as a non-member on the forum for a while.

I have a serious dilemma which I'd like for you guys to help me on...

I've owned a 350z for around 2 years now. I love the car alot, but I've always wanted a GTR... Why didn't I get one in the first place? Well it was mostly down to being stubborn and only wanting an R34 GTR in bayside blue which I could not afford... and more then that, insurance being almost 6 grand... so I opted for a weaker VQ series engine instead.

My car history is pretty much exclusively been jap... I was a honda VTEC nut for a while and owned pretty much all the Type-R's and preludes, then I went onto supra TT... now a 350z with nitrous

Anyway, I'll get to my point. To tune a 350z is an absolute nightmare. I've pretty much done all the N/A mods which I've felt to do and now added nitrous as I still feel the car is underpowered somewhat.

Having finished the miss banzai tunnel run with 4 GTRs, which I'm sure the owners are on here.... I have to say, it was an amazing experience to be in their presence... especially the R34s.

So I'm now thinking of chopping my zed in for an R34 GTR in bayside blue... I'd like to know what it is like owning one? Are they a constant headache like everyone says? I DEFINATELY would want mine to be tuned to around 450 - 500bhp, otherwise it won't be worth it imo.

I'm very tempted to buy a nice stock example and then tune it myself, but I wanted some valuable info from owners that have gone that route? Is it expensive?

Just to give you an illustration... to push a 350z to around 380bhp on stock internals will set you back around 8K if you 'know' people in the motortrade, and probably around £10K if you don't!

1) How does the GTRs compare?
2) Has any GTR owner owned a 350z here? What made you go to the darkside? :devil:

Sorry for babbling... :wave:

·
Seasoned Member
1,789 Posts
Hi All,

. To tune a 350z is an absolute nightmare. I've pretty much done all the N/A mods which I've felt to do and now added nitrous as I still feel the car is underpowered somewhat.

Just to give you an illustration... to push a 350z to around 380bhp on stock internals will set you back around 8K if you 'know' people in the motortrade, and probably around £10K if you don't!
:

Its pretty pointless doing anything to a VQ unless you build the motor. All the N/A mods are pointless and create little or no power. You may get a few hp out of a plenum spacer but nothing that makes a driving difference, all intakes are of noise value only.

To run a stock VQ at 380 hp is madness as you would need to drive it like a sunday driver to prevent putting a rod through the side of the engine.

People have spent a lot of money with T, TT & SC kits which again is a waste on stock internals as you would have to run so low boost you wouldnt get the bang for bucks.

Build the motor and the VQ is a different animal ;) I wouldnt call the new GTR engine weaker, which is a TT VQ.

I also love the R34 GTR and came very close to owning one however im no expert on the car but i would of thought that from stock you would need a whole lot more than 10K to take it up to 500 rwhp. You maybe better of waiting for a nicely modded one with a good history to come up for sale considering what they are being sold for at the moment.

·
Registered
11,026 Posts
they're still expensive imo but getting cheaper to tune. Dig out a v.good condition stg1 34gtr and you'll be happy. All skylines are a nightmare to maintain it seems but the smile from driving it is immense - i haven't owned a 34gtr (my time will come oh yes lol!) but owning any skyline is like an event whenever you get in it. Owning the 33gtr in the background was like climbing into godzilla ...altho my current 33gtst outran a stg1 gtr not so long back lol so I cant grumble - still got the skyline smile and for half the price hahaha!

do it mate - you'll be so glad you did - the communities here and on gtr.co.uk are very very helpful!

·
bla
17,374 Posts
Welcome to the club....

My advice is ...... Do it.......

Lol...

You wont regret it one bit.. A decently tuned r34 gtr (500bhp-800bhp) if built properly will be reliable!!

·
Registered
206 Posts
welcome! definately do it mate, get yourself the 34GTR you want, buy decent parts, fit them properly and have it tuned by professionals and you wont have any problems, looking forward to seeing some pics when you get it!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for that guys!

So I guess my next question would be:

How far can the stock RB26DE (thats the R34 GTR one??) be pushed on stock internals?

I'm just weighing up the costs for tuning vs buying tuned. I know that it's cheaper to have one tuned already but I do really prefer the former! :)

T

·
0 Posts
Its RB26 DETT. And alot of people run up to 650-700 horsepower on stock internals.
However it mostly depends on the mapping and state of tune. :)

·
oh shes blowin a hulie...
291 Posts
i bought my r34 last year and can happily say ive never had any issues with it.
the 34's have come down alot in the last year and theres a wealth of them on the market at the moment with around 450-500bhp that have been advertised for well over 6 months so its deffo a buyers market outthere.
as for being a constant headache all i can say is ive had an M3 and that was a constant MIGRANE,
the skyline has been a wet dream...LOL

but the most important thing to realise is that an R34 GTR is a high preformance car and should be treated as such, if your prepared to look after it by serviceing it on time and not ragging the crap out of it all the time
you'll get plenty of happy skyline smile miles...

my advice is use your brain and be smart when buying, its all too easy to let your heart take over, cause its the perfect colour and sounds real loud and its an R34 GTR and now you cant wait to have one...all too easy...
checkout whats onsale here, look around and do your homework.
theres loads to choose from so get a good one and theres far less chance of gettin any headaches...

but DEFFO get one, best car ive had so far anyway..:drivin::drivin::drivin:

·
oh shes blowin a hulie...
291 Posts
Thanks for the advice mate.

Which M3 did you have? E46?
just keep your eyes peeled and the right car will probably present itself to you.
good luck with the hunt..lol
this one, love the ols skool look of them. 1996 E36 M3 Evo 3.2, great fun car to drive when it was workin right but it was visitin the garage on a weekly basis, practically had a bay reserved for it on a monday morning..lol

·
London stand up tall
2,440 Posts
i bought my r34 last year and can happily say ive never had any issues with it.
the 34's have come down alot in the last year and theres a wealth of them on the market at the moment with around 450-500bhp that have been advertised for well over 6 months so its deffo a buyers market outthere.
as for being a constant headache all i can say is ive had an M3 and that was a constant MIGRANE,
the skyline has been a wet dream...LOL

but the most important thing to realise is that an ANY GTR is a high preformance car and should be treated as such, if your prepared to look after it by serviceing it on time and not ragging the crap out of it all the time
you'll get plenty of happy skyline smile miles...

my advice is use your brain and be smart when buying, its all too easy to let your heart take over, cause its the perfect colour and sounds real loud and its an R34 GTR and now you cant wait to have one...all too easy...
checkout whats onsale here, look around and do your homework.
theres loads to choose from so get a good one and theres far less chance of gettin any headaches...

but DEFFO get one, best car ive had so far anyway..:drivin::drivin::drivin:

Edited ;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts