Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right, as of today after washing my car for the first time i( bought it 3 weeks ago) i noticed for the first time that all 4 wheels are off a different brand.....:confused:
i now have little option but to replace all 4 wheels making it safer for me, but also other road users. ive heard toyo tires are good, but what size do ppl recommend so that theyre road legal and pass mot's and are grippy
this is the apparant setup of my car: M reg R33 GTS-T

18x9.5 +30 offset, bk555's 18’s all round, fronts have 3mm spacer so +27 offset

Many thanks if you could advise as im a bit wary about taking it out now :shakehead:

·
Administrator
25,965 Posts
having 4 differant tyre isnt the end of the world mate and as for safety thats a bit far fetched i feel but if your not happy then change them but what size are on your wheels the now mate?

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
theyre 18's. cant remember the various other numbers i see branded around like 245 etc. surely having 4 types of grip patterns cant keep my car stable?

·
Administrator
25,965 Posts
you have you been driving it about like that and nothing has happened so yes you can mate BUT the most important piece of the tyre is what you dont provide ie 245/40x18??? that is the most important bit as both rear need to be same sixe as does front pair BUT front and rear sizes can be differant mate i run 235/45x17 on front and should be 255/40x17 at back but due to problems i have 245/40x17 mate with no problems and even do track days mate

·
Administrator
25,965 Posts
kk mate but dont worry buddy about the tyres

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
I assume you know it's illegal to have certain mixes of tyre on the same axle?
As for it not mattering if they are different makes, models, sizes or tread patterns that attitude IMHO is best left to Corsa owners.

That kind of approach to your only link with the road is the reason that around 95% of the prat's I see in ditches every week have similar opinions.

You are right o be concerned, get some proper rubber and save a life or two, or join the prat's club and add to the accident toll. For God's sake it's easy enough to come a cropper on real rubber, but it's much more likely when driving on dolly mixtures.

As for the tyre type I would agree Toyo Poxes T1-R's are good, as for best size that depends on the wheel size, if you have 8.5 J's then 235 fronts and 245 rears are good, and you could stretch to 245 front and 255 rear, probaly 40 profile front and 35 rear. With 8.5's it is possible to go bigger but the cost can spiral..

Aitch

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
their 9.5's mate. and yes im very concerned about running the car on 'dolly mixtures' which is why im trying to sort this asap mate.
i didnt know it was illegal though, i just knew it was v bad practice.

·
Administrator
25,965 Posts
I assume you know it's illegal to have certain mixes of tyre on the same axle?
as aitch says the illegal bit is not having same size tires on the axle and mixing ply ratings, but ply ratings only become illegal on tires designed for vans and lgv's. as the loads are differant however i have yet to see a car fail an mot on tires due to them being differant and my garage can do up to 16 a day. and the company that makes toyo tires also make the cheap budget tyres as well just re-branded,as does all the big tire companys.

·
Administrator
25,965 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Its definately confirmed that i want the toyo proxes t1-r's. gonna buy a set of 4 when the skylines out of the paintshop. cheers mate :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts