Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
DaveofEdinburgh
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

Sorry if this subject has been covered already, I didnt find it after searching. Ive noticed a non-turbo 4-wheel drive R33 available that looks good. Im assuming that it has the RB25DE engine (think some non-turbos got the RB20 too?).
Is it possible to convert these cars to turbo (either by turboing the existing engine or fitting an RB25DET) and still use the four-wheel drive system without major work/ custom fabrication etc?
If this is possible, has it been done and documented before?
Ive just spent a winter sliding around in my Supra going no-where fast and would like 4WD (but cant afford a GTR).

·
Administrator
25,962 Posts
it can be done mate im sure :)

·
tdi power
13,297 Posts
i doubt you can just throw a rb25det in there unless its from the stagea as the cars that run the 4wd with a rb25 tend to have a slightly different block from the rwd ones. would be easier to turbo it

·
www.RHDclub.nl
206 Posts
Why not make it a fake-gtr and throw in a RB26DETT?

Chiba-kun has a turbo'd GTS-4, only his conversion was done in Japan before he bought her....

·
DaveofEdinburgh
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why not make it a fake-gtr and throw in a RB26DETT?

Chiba-kun has a turbo'd GTS-4, only his conversion was done in Japan before he bought her....
My thoughts exactly- its a budget R33 GTR if it can work (although Id imagine an RB25DET would be as far as my budget would stretch) without major fabrication.
Had a look for Chiba-kun, but very little in the way of info on the car.
Perhaps this would be better in the technical section- might get more input?

·
Chairman Stagea Owners Club
359 Posts
If its a gts four it probably has a rb20 engine in it..

But to answer your question of course it can be done - The question is how difficult is it.

To run the AWD you need an engine with front drive shafts (obviously) . The easiest way to do this is to use a stagea engine or an RB26 as they are both AWD.

This means a different clutch and maybe bell housing so the choice is probably to fit an engine and box from a 32GTR or fit a stagea motor

Its not the easiest of conversions all pre neo RB25 stagea engines are autos and dont have exactly the same attessa system as a GTS four.
There will also be some ecu issues although nothing that cannott be overcome.

It must be easier to tune the engine in the car (fitting a turbo has to be easier than fitting a different engine) especially if it has aN rb25 motor.

·
tdi power
13,297 Posts
This means a different clutch and maybe bell housing so the choice is probably to fit an engine and box from a 32GTR or fit a stagea motor

i dont think it does

you dont hear of people changing the clutch in a gtst when they put the rb26 in it. you use what ever clutch/flywheel is in the car as it comes.

all the bell housing's fit all rb engines

·
Chairman Stagea Owners Club
359 Posts
i dont think it does

you dont hear of people changing the clutch in a gtst when they put the rb26 in it. you use what ever clutch/flywheel is in the car as it comes.

all the bell housing's fit all rb engines
If you read my post it starts off with its probably got an RB20 engine.........

in whic case you will need to change those parts

And to Wack demon sorry mate but the GTS 4 did come with an RB 20 engine

From Nissan ( and wikipedia)
R32 Models:

GXi Type-X - 1.8 L CA18i I4, 91 hp (67 kW)
GTE Type-X - 2.0 L RB20E I6, 125 hp (93 kW, 152 N m)
GTS Type-X, S, J - 2.0 L RB20DE I6 155 hp (115 kW, 154 N m)
GTS-25 Type-X, S, XG - 2.5 L RB25DE I6, 180 hp (134 kW, 231 N m)
GTS-t Type-M - 2.0 L RB20DET turbo I6, 212 hp (158 kW, 263 N m)
GTS-4 - 2.0 L RB20DET turbo I6, 212 hp (158 kW, 263 N m)Autech Skyline - 2.6 L RB26DE I6, 217 hp (162 kW, Autech Version - auto only)
GT-R - 2.6 L RB26DETT twin-turbo I6, 276 hp (280ps) (206 kW, 368 N m) also NISMO,N1, V-Spec, and V-Spec II variants.
NISMO S-Tune

·
www.RHDclub.nl
206 Posts
Indeed, The R32 has the RB20DET (yes, with turbo)

And maybe my eyes trick me, but I'm pretty sure Dave and I mentioned R33 in our posts

·
confused.com
6,592 Posts
r33 gts4 .. be it 4 door salon or coupe has the diff and the drive shafts integral to the sump, in much the same way as the drive train of the gtr does.

so using a rb25det froma rwd is going to cause you a few scratching head moments.

turboing the existing lump is (i hate to say this) an option,. and has been done on rwd cars without too much dificulty. the engine once turboed is different tothe stock rb25det as its co0mpression ratio (assuming you haven't gone to the trouble of full rebuild with turbo spec internals) is higher.. speak to Lammy as he has done his with good results.

me personally.. i keep it non turbo...lighten it and learn to drive higher inthe rev range: the smile gets pretty wide even without a fan in ya intake.

(but i still love me stagea.. its just the NA skyline can be a bit "stealth" in away...)

·
confused.com
6,592 Posts
If you read my post it starts off with its probably got an RB20 engine.........

in whic case you will need to change those parts

And to Wack demon sorry mate but the GTS 4 did come with an RB 20 engine

From Nissan ( and wikipedia)
R32 Models:

GXi Type-X - 1.8 L CA18i I4, 91 hp (67 kW)
GTE Type-X - 2.0 L RB20E I6, 125 hp (93 kW, 152 N m)
GTS Type-X, S, J - 2.0 L RB20DE I6 155 hp (115 kW, 154 N m)
GTS-25 Type-X, S, XG - 2.5 L RB25DE I6, 180 hp (134 kW, 231 N m)
GTS-t Type-M - 2.0 L RB20DET turbo I6, 212 hp (158 kW, 263 N m)
GTS-4 - 2.0 L RB20DET turbo I6, 212 hp (158 kW, 263 N m)Autech Skyline - 2.6 L RB26DE I6, 217 hp (162 kW, Autech Version - auto only)
GT-R - 2.6 L RB26DETT twin-turbo I6, 276 hp (280ps) (206 kW, 368 N m) also NISMO,N1, V-Spec, and V-Spec II variants.
NISMO S-Tune
this rb20/25 debate has run on with regard to the 4wd non gtr varients for a while now. I seem to remember i was under the impression all r32 were rb20..then low and behold an rb25de engines one popped up.. apparently factory standard.

however in general as far as i know r33 gts4 cars came with the rb25de. and the r32 with the rb20de. I am going to stick my neck out and say i think the only 2.0 litre lump fitted to an r33 was the rb20e. sohc...and only in rwd.

so to replace the engine your looking for an engine from a either a gtr (rb26) or as has been said a stagea...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts