Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
12,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Now I'm in a position to turn the boost up, I'm obviously wanting a boost gauge. I want it to be 45mm so I can fit it into the cluster or replace the clock, but most importantly it must have as little damping as possible so it doesn't hide boost spikes, etc. Because of this, I assume a mechanical gauge would be more suitable.

Any suggestions?

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

·
Everybody knows that the bird is the word
9,198 Posts
I have one of these, simple and subtle.... and it works well (for years and years and ye....) :) It came with an excellent mounting cup too, but I'm unsure if that's VDO branded.
(my boost gauge is small, but I have no idea what the actual size is sorry so this may not be suitable)

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
45mm will limit you as to what gauge you can get. Theres enough room to bore the hole out to 51mm which would give you a much wider range of gauges to choose from

·
12,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just want it to look as subtle as possible, I don't like pillar pods or modified dashboards. So the only places I could make it look factory is replacing the clock, or modifying the cluster so the boost gauge overlaps the rev counter in the same way the fuel gauge overlaps the speedo. Both would require 45mm. I had a 45mm omori gauge on my MR2 in place of the standard gauge in the cluster, but I found that was too damped, masking boost spiking when I was first setting up a boost controller.

Another option would be to fit a gtr gauge holder thing, but that would require me to ditch my double din head unit which I don't really want to do.

·
9,198 Posts
Stuart : This is just an idea I'm throwing out there for you :) I too prefer subtle, so I struggled to find a place to install my gauge that wasn't too 'intrusive'. I found a place on my old R33 and it worked so well I used the same idea on my R32 too. It's very easy to check the gauge at a glance (right next to the factory gauges) and it keeps it mostly out of sight from thieves too :)
I took the pic closer than where I sit, so the gauge in the pic is blocking much more of the factory gauges than what I see from the drivers seat, I can comfortably see 2500rpm and up. I can also see to 110kph (our maximum speed limit is 100kph so not seeing higher doesn't worry me)
To mount it, there are just 2 screws on the instrument cluster surround and they will be very hard to spot if I was to remove the gauge.

...and yes, that a genuine 113xxx KMS on an old R32 (70xxx miles) :D

·
9,198 Posts
I can take more pics too if you want to get a feel for how it looks mounted there :)

·
9,198 Posts
lmao nice comparison :rofl:

Well its not slapped on top of the dash, its not a bulge in the A pillar etc, its there and more or less tucked away from view. Short of making a hole in the instrument cluster, thats about as out of the way as I could make it. The blue hose probably doesn't help the subtleness though lol
Anyway, 'tis just an idea :)

·
12,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hmm, it does still strike me as something added later on as you'd guess! Not for me I'm afraid, but you're right about it being in view, as that's where the boost gauge was in my MR2. Except it was actually in the cluster looking like a regular dial.

Still swaying towards modding the cluster, provided there's room for it once I remove the standard gauge that is.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
I don't like the idea of gauges in the DIN slot or the clock because you can hardly see 'em without glancing down.

This is how I installed my Blitz boost gauge. It's in a single cup holder thingy bolted to the plastic surround thing above the steering wheel.

·
12,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Well to give you an idea of how neat I'd want it, here's the 45mm omori boost gauge I installed into my mk2 MR2 turbo instrument cluster:

As you may be able to tell, I much prefer things looking like they were always supposed to be there from the factory.

Problem is there isn't such a neat oem looking place in an r33 without going single din, and then it's nowhere near where I'll be looking while driving. Also I found the omori was heavily damped, hiding boost spikes. I'm after a gauge where I'll actually be able to see if it's spiking.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts