Skyline Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 4wd and abs lights have recently come on in my 90 r32 gts4. They are on from the moment you turn on the ignition.

It happened maybe 2 weeks ago, followed shortly by the car dying, not starting again, and leaving me stranded.

I got the car home however, and charged the battery as it was very low, solving the engine dying problem.

Now have done about 2 weeks of research, and have started to fault find.
Atessa fluid res was low in the boot, just under min, and the pas in the front has also been topped up.
Have checked all relay's I can find in the car and fuses, but to no avail.
Have the ecu's for both the 4wd and what i believe to be the abs too. with neither of which registering any fault codes.
When the problem initially arose however I charged the battery overnight, and removed the ecu's in the boot and had them indoors for a few hours. when I re-installed it, all lights were out, and everything seemed to function well again! untill the following (wet) day when the lights were on again :(

I do seem to have alot of water make its way into my boot, and although the ecu's were relatively dry, could this cause a problem? as after I dried/warmed them in the house it went away?

Would a low oil level in the transfer box cause these lights to come on?

Secondly when I drive it with the abs and 4wd lights the steering seems to go from light to heavy on corners which kind of makes the car wobble as you corner..

Previous owner did supply it to me with a knackered c.v boot, which had split and spilled its internals all over the hub knuckle on the drivers side. Im guessing that kind of grease combined with road dirt would hinder the abs sensor's ability to read, putting the abs light, 4wd light and possibly explain the erratic steering?

Sorry I know its a long post, but its really getting me stumped... Guess the battery could be to blame too, but seems unlikely due to it still holding 12+V charge.

·
hippy
7,682 Posts
the abs sensors would be a good thing to check,a dirty or broken one could throw up the kind of faults you are getting

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im beginning to think the same too, get it out, clean it all up, and see if that works.
Would you think it wise to do an ecu reset at the same time?

·
hippy
7,682 Posts
as far as i know the ecu for the hicas resets every time you turn the ignition off,the engine ecu shouldnt be affected

·
confused.com
6,592 Posts
Clean and check the abs sensors. also check the rings that they read on. a crack in one can result in a wider gap between the "teeth" and the sensors if working, see this as a fault.

water onthe ecu can be a problem. check your rear wash wipe if fitted isnt leaking onto the ecus inthe boot.

lastly check the g sensor under the centre console. my car sat for 4 months while i was away, and then the g sensor failed for no reasons upon my return. letting the battery die and damp may have been the cause. ...

though from some of what you have said the Attessa ecu may be at fault. try swapping it out with a known good unit.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got the g-sensor out and checked. all ok.. :)
another one off the list...
I now have an abundance of cleaning product now and intend to clean off all that crap from the c.v boot.

Just want to get it done now... lol..

·
confused.com
6,592 Posts
also upon start up theres a relay on top of the abs system which should slick a few times. if its not id test that.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Checked the relay, all good hesh.. think the dirty sensor is going to be to blame here.. I will check it all, replace the oils(just incase) and clean up the sensors.

Fingers crossed..

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok update. problem is solved, suspected battery was off because of some intermittent cutting out problem.
Took battery to local motor factor, put it on tester, 12v.... thought great... under load, a mere 7v, So replaced it. while battery was out I cleaned the main contact at the bottom of the shock tower as it looked ****. Upon re-installation, lights have gone out!! :) :)

I do have another problem though now, If you start the car, and turn steering wheel, the PAS seems to go from light to heavy, and if you turn the wheel through say, 90 degrees and blip the throttle the wheel wobbles??
It also does the same thing through corners goes light then heavy, light then heavy. all fluids seem ok, and upto recently it worked flawlessly.
Would the link with the throttle possibly suggest a sensor component, like the steering speed sensor on the rack possibly? worth checking for wire wear, cleanliness etc?
Or is it more than likely to be something else?
Pump and belt are ok, with there being no excess noise etc.

Any ideas??

Cheers all :)

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OK... problem is not solved... tried car this morning, everything seemed fine, got home this evening, and thought I would drain the fluid out on the systen (solheim ;) )
Saw a few bubbles in the resevoir, so set about turning on the car and attempting a quick bleed procedure... Guess what, 4wd lights and abs lights came on with the ignition, and BLOODY STAYED ON!!!! This is annoying me a little now, all electrical components are fine, so looks like the contacts, and connectors are what may be needed..
Are there any imparticular? i.e on p/s pump and rack? any connectors on the block that are utilised by this system?
How about body earths? does anyone know if they get bad? (one behind battery is fine, cleaned that yesterday.) They easy to get at?

Have also heard it could be a dash problem, anyone experience this?

Also, what does the power steering pump power? just the pas? how is the 4wd system pressurised?

I want to eliminate contacts first, mainly because all 3 problems came along at once, during the rainy season we just had.

Car has only done 40k, although has had a full respray at some point..

Any thoughts welcome, getting a bit frustrating now.... :(

Cheers
Dave

·
hippy
7,682 Posts
the 4wd isnt presurised and the pas pump powers the steering only,the hicas has its own fluid pot in the back

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I knew the hicas was on a seperate system, that system is working ok.

Just wondered if the other 2 systems could be linked by a mechanical fault, So if there is no pressure run in the 4wd system, then why does the transfer box have an actuator on the outside near the prop? how does the hydraulic clutch pack from the box work? I would have thought it was hydraulic..

Trying to think why the link.. starting to think it is something to do with the earths, or a loose connection..

Do the dash lights have a relay somewhere that could possibly get stuck??

Keep the thoughts coming.. this is baffling me now..

·
Administrator
25,974 Posts
i have found on gtrs that when the g-sensor fails it will bring up your faults with abs and 4wd.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Cheers speedr33per, checked it a month ago, Indicated ok on the window, but tested continuity etc and it all fell within a very small amount of the factory settings (well within service standards)..
I really want to check all the earthing wires etc, just to see whats up, are there any known bad points i should check?

·
Administrator
25,974 Posts
i would try another one that you know works just in case mate and just check every earth point you find mate :)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts