Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got my skyline a week ago, what an ANIMAL. This car is the mutts nutts. :D
Got a few questions.

Can any one tell me when the 4WS kicks in, is there a set speed?
How do I check if its working?
Is the Top Speed of a GTS25T 165mph? :(
Has anyone ever got that close?

·
Banned
8,850 Posts
Rear wheels only "steer" to assist in handling, and only move a few degrees. Its system is called HICAS . Some people dont like it as it can give a wierd sensation when it try's to stop the rear stepping out etc..

The best I have rinsed out of mine is what you said, but I know there was a bit left, bottle went when I saw aircon was still on and I couldnt get my hand of the steering wheel to switch it off.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
4WS

Does it work all the the time or only at centain speed?

E

·
0 Posts
Yes it only comes on at speed. It doesn`t come on for general around town driving & id guess its probably over 50 or 60 mph that you`ll notice it.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Hicas action is based upon road speed and rate of steer, ie how fast you turn the wheel.

Pretty sure I have felt it at low speed whilst turning round a sharp car park bend.

Spin the wheel RAPIDLY at low-ish speed and you should feel the car steer 'strangely'. Thats HICAS.

There is a method of getting it into diagnostic mode, its weird, and I only managed to get into the mode once. On the R32 its something like:

Turn on the car, steer Quickly L-R or R-L 5 times around ten degrees from centre.

Drive forward/backward at aroun 10kph for 10 metres. Stop.

HICAS light should flash and the rear wheels willl 'twitch' every few seconds. It look well strange, and the whole car shakes.

Thats probably not the correct method, but I can't remember what is. Its something like that.

·
M's Factory
5,240 Posts
hi-cas works past the speed of about 20mph or roughly 30kph.

So dont try and put it on ramps and see if it steers like i did and wonder why it doesnt work !!!!!!! DOH.

Well at least it taught me what the actual answer was in the end.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts