Skyline Owners Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i need some help
is the gtr gearbox the same as a manual 4x4 stagea
i know they do spec2 and neo 4x4 manual stagea's theres 2 on pistonheads now lol but when i speak to people they tell me they only do auto's ?

·
Chairman Stagea Owners Club
359 Posts
ALL rb25 stageas were autos out of the factory.

Only factory manuals were autech 260RS (all rb26 some were series 1 some series 2) and the RS Four S which had a neo engine ( similar to 34GTT and iherefore all series 2)

All manual stageas are AWD

It is possible of course to do a manual conversion on any stagea. Most use a GTR box but theres quite a few other parts needed as well .
Its a bit more complicated than you may first think but not somthing that is beyond any decent mechanic. d,

·
confused.com
6,592 Posts
welllllllllllllllllllllllllll its rare, but I'm lead to believe there is actually a factory manual rb25det engined version. its alluded to in an Australian reveiw of the car on you tube.

that said i've never seen one or know anyone that has one. and this is the only reference to one ive ever heard.

worth research?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
theres a manual 2.5 stagea on pistonheads now it does say its rare but it defo not a neo or a conversion ? ill do some digging on the net then
thanks for the help so far

·
359 Posts
The white manual one on pistonheads is a series 2 (the front grille and wings are slightly different )

That means its a neo engine - its just not clear in the ad

·
confused.com
6,592 Posts
The white manual one on pistonheads is a series 2 (the front grille and wings are slightly different )

That means its a neo engine - its just not clear in the ad
so were all spec 1 stageas autos then?

·
359 Posts
Out of the Nissan factory Yes all series 1 cars were auto , although as said before the series 1 autech 260RS were all manual.

Converting a Stagea to a manual is possible and quite a few have been done in Japan .
I would make an edjucated guess that there are around a dozen manual stageas in the UK

·
Stagea RS4 Owner
221 Posts
taken from skyline owners Australia

4WD Gearbox (R33 GTS4 or GTR Box) – Be aware of push vs pull type clutch though as a pull type clutch setup is usually more expensive than a push type.
Flywheel (9 bolt turbo type) & Bolts
Clutch & Pressure Plate & Bolts
Bell-housing Bolts
Clutch Pedal (R34 Skyline or Stagea Pedal)
Brake Pedal (Stagea or cut the auto one down, R34 Pedal does not fit)
R33 Handbrake Lever & Bracket
Clutch Master Cylinder
Clutch Line
Centre Console (Stagea or cut & modify original with an R34 or similar)
Manual Spigot Bush
Access to a hoist & if possible a gearbox lifter
Plenty of tools (drill, etc etc)
Some friends to help you lift things
2 packs of Cigarettes
2 Dozen Beer (Quantity may vary depending on consumption levels)

·
359 Posts
You will also need the handbrake cable from a 33 as the stagea one is much longer.
You can use RS 260 stagea console and pedal boxes which fit perfectly and are the neatest job
You are also better using a 33 GTR box as it is stronger than the 32 GTR box . Both fit but with use different clutch ( one is push the other pull type)

The auto stagea ECU is also different , It has a two stage boost wheras a manual car does not . You would certainly benefit by having a different boost set up using a boost controller.
Also an auto ECU has to cope with the kickdown , snow mode , the 50/50 diff split and power button.
Most people also change the ecu as the car seems to run better (you drive a manual completely different to an auto) If you keep it there will probably be some addittional wiring
Using a manual ECU will involve splicing the new loom in to the harness which is probably the hardest part.

In short theres more work than it first appears if you want to get the full benefit of a manual box,

·
359 Posts
Theoretically yes

But Im not sure what ecu you would use. Auto Stagea to manual the GTR ecu works perfectly (after you hae wired it in ) as the car is now a RB25 manual and there is a matching nissan ECU.

The other way is a lot more involved ecu wise. The ecu would have to cope with kickdown and sport mode as well as the snow mode and automatic gearchanges .I dont think you could use a auto stagea ECU as they all have the RB25 engine .
You would need an 4 auto rb26 one . Possibly they did a 4 door auto with a RB26 engine.
It might also give problems with the HICAS
You might have use an aftermarket ECU Fcon or Power Fc etc.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts