Skyline Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if a standard r33 gtr can be run on normal unleaded without causing damage or can it be adjusted to run on 95 ron( and when i say standard its even got the stock exhaust still on it)

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Does anyone know if a standard r33 gtr can be run on normal unleaded without causing damage or can it be adjusted to run on 95 ron( and when i say standard its even got the stock exhaust still on it)

NO . NO . NO in a nutshell it will DET big time , so few pennies per litrre will cost you thousands

99 Tesco or optimax period ...

97 say a tenner off boost just to get out of trouble , you can get it mapped to 97 but huge loss in power so why bother

why do you want to put 95 Ron in a skyline ? GTS or GTR same with a Stagea

stick 95 in and you will be picking up off the road whats left of your engine

its like people who post mpg questions , you dont buy a skyline if you cant afford the fuel and then complain about thr mpg . bit harsh but reality

if you are looking for a cheap fuel car buy a Diesel ... lol

or do what the rest of us do , buy a skyline then Mon - fri drive round in shitters ..

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
Gtr I wouldn't but a gtst should be fine. As said before I've run it and its fine. Plus as these rb25 engines were used in other cars ouside of japan I carnt think why the japs would map it on on just there high octain fuel. It would not make much bussiness sence.

·
Administrator
14,725 Posts
You could prob run it on 95 but just don't push it hard at all.

You can tune the car to it, that shouldn't be a problem just knock the timing back a few degree's, but for the sake of it I just put a good super unleaded in.

·
bla
17,374 Posts
99 + in either a GTST or GTR....

I wouldnt dream of running one on less..

Although i have known cars to be remapped to lower ron fuel..

Ask Rod mate.. Im sure he will tell you to stick with Vpower!! :)

·
bla
17,374 Posts
Gtr I wouldn't but a gtst should be fine.
And why would that make a difference???

There both the same, mapped on the same etc etc...

I wouldnt..

As Bruce said, If you do... DONT put your foot down!!

·
At home playing with myself!!!
3,180 Posts
me personally id just stick with 99 ron, ive put 97 in before and have noticed a difference in the car...just never feels right with a lower octane.

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
RB20DE / RB25DE Unleaded Premium

RB25DET / RB26DETT Unleaded ( HIGH OCTANE ).

Its just not worth messing around with these things for the sake of a few pence.

·
Tyne/Wear/Tees Arse Rep/Gtr Shop Rep
11,412 Posts
god DO NOT use 95 in either a GTST or GTR you will DET your engine to bits on boost, these engines are designed to run on 100 ron

·
Just another brick in the wall
2,693 Posts
I find even 97 feels crap. Had to put £10 in today of 97 Total, and it was total crap. Car seemed to pop and bang more. Which is strange as i'd have thought it'd be the other way round. I always stick to Shell V-power where I can.

·
Tyne/Wear/Tees Arse Rep/Gtr Shop Rep
11,412 Posts
I find even 97 feels crap. Had to put £10 in today of 97 Total, and it was total crap. Car seemed to pop and bang more. Which is strange as i'd have thought it'd be the other way round. I always stick to Shell V-power where I can.
97 dosnt burn as well as 99 so pops and bangs, i have had 3 skylines so far and all didnt like 97

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
:funny: Nooooooo??

Maybe i should of explained it in abit more detail just for you... :rolleyes:
Indeed

maybe i should have also made it a bit more clearer

the rb25 det engines were avalible in other cars like the cerdric, gloria and laurel

The laurel was exported to selected European and asian countries and also chile

as i said before it would not make much business sence if they were mapped for 100 plus octain fuel

maybe im wrong but hay the japs are alot more intelligant then i am.

·
tdi power
13,297 Posts
NO . NO . NO in a nutshell it will DET big time , so few pennies per litrre will cost you thousands

99 Tesco or optimax period ...

97 say a tenner off boost just to get out of trouble , you can get it mapped to 97 but huge loss in power so why bother

why do you want to put 95 Ron in a skyline ? GTS or GTR same with a Stagea

stick 95 in and you will be picking up off the road whats left of your engine

its like people who post mpg questions , you dont buy a skyline if you cant afford the fuel and then complain about thr mpg . bit harsh but reality

if you are looking for a cheap fuel car buy a Diesel ... lol

or do what the rest of us do , buy a skyline then Mon - fri drive round in shitters ..
yes you can if the car has been mapped for it :)

·
slightly sideways
641 Posts
now i feel nervous.i brought the car in from japan and im running 95 ron on mt r32 gtst for the past 2 years with extremely hard driving with no mapping for it and its running perfect. knowing my luck it'll pop today lol.
note to self. must re-map it.

·
Wedding Photographer
3,419 Posts
I was always told never to use 95 ron unless the car had been mapped for it.
With fuel prices how they are, its tempting to get the car mapped to run on 95 ron!

·
Yeah boyeeeeeeeee
6,604 Posts
I'd be interested in seeing what power loss there actually is, going from a 99 map to a 95 map.

Doing some back of a *** packet calcs, assuming the mapping costs £400, and 95 is 5p per litre less than 99, you'd need to drive about 30,000 miles to get your money back (20 mpg & 5 litres per gallon assumed).

1 - 20 of 57 Posts