Skyline Owners Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi there guys, i purchased a R32 GTE :( but its what i can afford, i can get a RB20DE for pretty cheep but heres the question:

would i need to do much to get a RB20DE going in a car that comes stock RB20E ? exhaust manifold ? computer, loom and what about the gearbox ? would a RB20E gearbox be ok with a RB20DE? keep in mind i'm not into drifting or anything, i'd just like a wee bit more snap but can't imagine the price of a turbo set-up for a single cam would be worth it, i could get a RB20DE for way cheeper, any advice would be appreciated, cheers.

·
confused.com
6,592 Posts
hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

·
Registered
63 Posts
would i need to do much to get a RB20DE going in a car that comes stock RB20E ? exhaust manifold ? computer, loom and what about the gearbox ? would a RB20E gearbox be ok with a RB20DE? keep in mind i'm not into drifting or anything, i'd just like a wee bit more snap but can't imagine the price of a turbo set-up for a single cam would be worth it, i could get a RB20DE for way cheeper, any advice would be appreciated, cheers.
The gearbox is the same for the RB20E and RB20DE.
The exhaust manifolds between the RB20E and DE are not the same so some matching up to your current exhaust will be needed. Or at least you may get away with getting the DE from pipe to bolt between the manifold and the cat. Ensure you get all the intake ducting etc for the DE. Alternator, starter motor, power steering and radiator all the same. Air con you may have to stay with the original from the RB20E. There was a number of different pumps used across the R32 range.
You will get some performance gains from the RB20DE for sure but you may lose a little torque low down in the revs. Above 4000rpm however and the DE gets into it and will romp away from the RB20E. Since its the same either way have you considered a R32 RB25DE (non VCT engine). More torque and same loom as the RB20DE. The R33 RB25DE engine is harder to setup in the R32. But the non vct RB25DE is a drop in afair. Again the gearbox will take it. My RB20DE box has done over 200kms and it taking the strain of a RB30DE without problems. Wouldn't expect it to drift or take numerous drag launches but general driving with heavy excelleration its dealing with easy.

Nigel

1 - 4 of 4 Posts