Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
no fun in straight lines
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hi peeps, having trouble with my r33 gtst spec1,

i have done a lot of modifications on her and rebuild the engine, due to the mods im obviously in need of an ecu and getting it mapped. but i want to run the engine in before i do so.

problem is when accelerating the a/f gauge falls down to lean and she holds back and splutters a bit. anyone any ideas of where the fault could lie? i have a Greddy stle plenum with Q45 throttle body and was thinking i might have to put the standard throttle position sensor on as the Q45 might not be giving the right reading, correct me if im wrong. i also still have to fit my wabro pump as someone told me it would help her but would a dodgy fuel pump really affect it that much?

any help would be greatly appreciate, i just want to run the engine in safely

here are all my engine mods so far

new HYBRID steel internal turbo,
new Garret Waste gate actuator,
new stainless tubular exhaust manifold,
new custom made turbo elbow,
Full custom made POWERFLOW stainless steel exhaust
new ACL race main shaft and big end bearings
new Greddy style inlet manifold,
new Q45 throttle body,
new AUTOBAHN 88 Front Mount Intercooler,
new iridium spark plugs,
new genuine NISSAN full engine gasket set,
new BLUEPRINT timing belt,
new WEISCO 86.5mm forged piston& ring set
Engine Re bore,
head skim,
new SPLITFIRE coil packs,
heat wrapped exhaust manifold,
new PIPERCROSS induction kit,
new HKS SSQ dumpvalve
IMPUL high power ECU,

·
Registered
11,026 Posts
mate get the ecu under the bay first asap! Explain to the tuner its a new engine rebuild and that it needs running in at some point - they'll fit the ecu, map it, tune it up then help you out from there giving you the nod to floor it or run it in gently - both ways are good but the tuner will know whats best for your car. Get the stronger fuel pump under definitely.

ecu's really do make all the difference - mine is down at eurospec (dropped it off today 10 hr round journey harrumpff) but I know when it comes back it'll be a different car and mine is being put on a rebuilt engine with about 14k on it now and a heap of recent mods too.
sorry I cant be more precise but I'd go with ecu replacement every time on a spec like that - it really does transform a car.

·
Administrator
14,725 Posts
Yes the Q45 is probably causing it to run lean, the uprated fuel pump is a must and will prob go a long way into sorting out the leaning out issue.

Just stay off the heavy right foot and away from big revs until its run in.

For the first 1000 miles i ran mine in with running in oil staying under 4k and 1 bar boost, then put semi-synthetic oil in and did another 500miles using full revs and upto 1 bar boost, then dropped the oil for full synthetic and had it mapped.

·
no fun in straight lines
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes the Q45 is probably causing it to run lean, the uprated fuel pump is a must and will prob go a long way into sorting out the leaning out issue.

Just stay off the heavy right foot and away from big revs until its run in.

For the first 1000 miles i ran mine in with running in oil staying under 4k and 1 bar boost, then put semi-synthetic oil in and did another 500miles using full revs and upto 1 bar boost, then dropped the oil for full synthetic and had it mapped.
aye iv semi in mine 2. will the standard tps fit the q45 throttle body or should i resort back to standard throttle body for running in purposes?

·
Registered
572 Posts
with the use of a safc you could change adjust the fuelling a bit to stop her running so lean in the mean time. Havent got a clue about the tps on the q45 though sorry mate. I'd just run the standard for the running in period, if your not gonna stick any way of adjusting the a/f mix in. If you rotate the standard TB 180 it should fit without having to modify the throttle cable. I'd stick a walbro into the mix as well, stop fuel cut etc :) hope your doin well mate, lost my phone this weekend, DOH!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts