Skyline Owners Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a go at getting rid of all the rattles in my front doors today and improving the sound. It worked very well infact alot better than i thought it would.

First off remove all of the original plastic membrain from the inside of the door and throw it away,then spray waxoyl all over the inside of the door including all the lock rods that you cant normally get to ( be carefull not to get it on the window winder slides ).There is a patch of brown bread like stuff on the inside of the outer door skin as it is so there is no need to go out and buy a load of it as it cost a lot of money for what it is and adds lots of weight to what already a very heavy set of doors.

After that all you need to do is replace the old plastic membrain with some acoustic foam underlay with the foil backing ,the same stuff that you put under wood flooring as it is light easy to cut and water proof. Job done.

very easy, very cheap and works very well without adding loads of weight.

Attachments

·
Registered
962 Posts
Looks good.

I'm about to do my audio, where do you get that foam-backed shiny stuff from?

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi mate,

I got the foam underlay off ebay for about £7 ,but if you are going to santa pod on the 24th i could bring it with me and you could have it. Theres a fair amount let over. All you would need on top of that is some waxoyl which doesn`t cost alot and some alloy tape.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Cheers dude, that would be a touch..

..I'll see you on the 24th!

:cheers:

·
hippy
7,682 Posts
i still think some dynamat extreme is needed on the doorskin,especially behind where the speaker is mounted if this is part of an ice install,that foam wouldnt shut my doors up rattling or deforming with some low stuff

closed cell foams are good for getting rid of road noise,proper sound deadening of some type is most useful for mass loading panels to stop rattles

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know what you are saying koh, but to be honest for a normal sound system this seems to work very well.
I`m sure if you have a mega sound system you would indeed need something a bit heavier.

Around town my sound system is spot on but once you get over 60 mph on the motorway the sound from the exhaust kills all low frequency noise anyway.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts