Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Seasoned Member
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back end went out on me tonight on the way home.
Going round a roundabout that I've gone around hundreds of times, the back end just went without warning. luckily I took my foot of the accelerator in time and the back end snapped back, but, boy! what a fright:eek::eek:

The roads were either a lot greasier than I had thought they were, or some f**ck*r has spilt diesel on the road:cya:

Also, strangely enough, the back end also feels a bit loose tonight after the incident. I wonder what's going on there:confused:
I hope it's not the HICAS!!

·
Highland/North Scotland Area Rep
4,159 Posts
sounds like you had a little fun...im sure our cars do this from time to time too keep us from getting bored and to keep us in check ...lol :D

·
Registered
197 Posts
Sounds like Diesel mate - gets you all of a sudden hey! if it's a roundabout u take regularly then somethings wrong with that picture..not nice

·
Taking control of the drum machine
835 Posts
Diesels horrible on the road. One spot near me caused my mate to smash his new Cossy (drove 2-300 miles and lost it there 200 meters from his house!).
And caused mine to fish-tail.

Oddly enough, on the ice - I could control it perfectly, but diesel going much slower - no real control at all.

·
Tigers eat tyres
834 Posts
Had my first little scare after 2 weeks of ownership last night. Mine was accelerating around a sharp corner from the lights, lost traction and part spun part drift as the back end went out.

No harm done but definitely teaches you to respect the car and be more safe when other road users are around. Gave me a skyline smile and made me grin like an idiot thinking about how much fun it will be when i can actually hit the track.

·
Tigers eat tyres
834 Posts
or cyclists, or trucks, or 4x4s, or kids, or...you get the picture!
Yeah great fun till then but then not so much. Lately I've found myself driving like Miss Dasiy anywhere with other road users and only opening her up for some fun when its safe.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Why does everyone cite the "HICAS bogeyman" whenever they lose it or the back gets wobbly? It'll be nothing to do with HICAS, if anything your track rod ends or bushes need replacing.

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
I had it happen to me a few weeks back the first time in the 2 years ive owned it yeap sorry i drive like a girl (shes my baby)

Newish tyres dunlop sport sp 6000 at least 7 mm of tread
dry road 40mph limit changing to 60mph on a long sweeping corner going up hill was in fourth put my foot down about 30 40% throttle and the back end went

Had a bit of a brown pants moment but thought ****ing hell that was lucky nothing was coming the other way

·
Shake and Bake !!
491 Posts
We all like a bit of drifting fun, and it keeps you on your toes when it goes, if its under normal power, your half expecting it and your marginally prepared. I've had it happen twice where its just gone, like your driving on sheet ice, there is no time to prepare for it and its normally quite violent, both times in the wet as well, the guy who followed me in one instance wasn't so lucky, he was driving an MR2, apparently mid engine (I say rear engine) he just lost it completely and went through a hedge !

·
Shake and Bake !!
491 Posts
Forgot to mention in both instances it was diesel. For a comparison, my mrs was driving her C3, in the wet again, had normal grip around a round about and then....it just goes violently.
For a front wheel drive car being driven normally to just try and do a 180 for no reason in the middle of a roundabout is not a normal situation.
I've had two bikes and I can safely say, if you hit that in anyway shape or form, you've had it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts