Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK for the hardcore professional car mechanics are going to laugh this off but i'm well stoked with my efforts.......

Finally got round to removing the 4 sheared exhaust manifold stud in the beast....

It took me all afternoon & last time i try this I ended up having to have the work correct professionally :devil:. After a lots of swearing cursing I ended up with these :)

New studs are in, new gasket ready just reading up on my torque tightnesses to put it all back together....

DS

Attachments

·
Seasoned Member
4,032 Posts
hi

now elongate the holes in the manifold in the direction the bolts have been making contact by 2mm and it wont happen again

·
Seasoned Member
1,199 Posts
ive had that happen i welded nuts and spanners on and while they were still hot they came out with ease

wardy

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cheers Folks!

So, how did you get the bits out?

easyouts??
Yes m8. Cobalt drill bit, Halfords "Shock & Unlock" & easy out's!

1/2 turn on the easy out, blast of "shock & unlock", repeat. Took ages but well proud.....

now elongate the holes in the manifold in the direction the bolts have been making contact by 2mm and it wont happen again
Thought about doing something like that but decided if you increased the bore you risk reducing the snugness of the new bolt fit (which in turn could introduce vibration to the head<->manifold = damage).

Opted to use standard bolts & upgraded gasket, only aiming for 400bhp on my car & the STD nissan R33 gtst exhaust manifold is good for near 500bhp...

DS

·
Jammy Git
2,180 Posts
That's good going. I had my own battle with that a few months back and felt totally righteous afterwards!!

Jedi skills :)

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
Thats cool mate.

Hope the website helped

we tryied that shock and unlock stuff and found it crap

Frezze and release was so much better

My old man swears by the stuff now lol

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
@ Everyone, cheers. Yep does feel real good to do the job myself.

My ebay "unbranded" uprated turbo elbow arrvied this afternoon, turns out to be a exotic speed (http://www.exoticspeed.ca/about_us.php) one! Well happy :)

Hope the website helped

we tryied that shock and unlock stuff and found it crap

Frezze and release was so much better
Yep it was my source of info to get going. Would have used Freeze 'n Release if I could source some in time.....

DS

·
tdi power
13,297 Posts
with the freeze stuff

do you have the engine warm and spray the broken stud?

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
No I just squirted as much as I could on a cold engine stud waited for it to "crack" and un done it.

Would advise you re check the bolts after about a week found the end one needed to be re torqued.

·
tdi power
13,297 Posts
right then

im getting loads of the freeze stuff from work :)

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
with the freeze stuff

do you have the engine warm and spray the broken stud?
Like j_jskyline79 said, use it when cold (you really don't want to start the engine with turbo oil lines removed........)

DS

·
tdi power
13,297 Posts
derrr

do you really think im going to start the car with the turbo off tut tut

i will quickly strip it after i turn it off

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i will quickly strip it after i turn it off
lol - you must be good, it took me about 30mins just to get the oil & water feeds off the turbo (without damaging them). I was being uber careful mind you as it was my first attempt at that job...

Unless you've got your engine red hot before you start the job, I think you'll find the majority of the heat has dissipated before you get near the good components....

If you do manage to get 'em off in time, you'll need thick glove to hold the hot components (I hate working in latex thin gloves yet alone heat resistance thick jobbies...)

Good luck!

DS

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
Yeap Dad said it took him about that long with a 24mm stepped ring spanner

Can be done a bit easyer if you remove the power steering out the way, just remove brackets then a 24mm socket should fit in there

Dont forget new copper washers

4 for the water and 2 for the oil

·
Car Abuser
175 Posts
I was quoted over £600 to get this done, who fancies doing it for me? Anyone near the Essex/Lakeside area?

My car's sounded like a tractor for months now. It's embarrassing.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts