Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Approx [email protected] bar
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an R32 GTR - HKS cams etc.

Engine suddenley started knocking/tapping at the top end, seems to be coming form the inlet side.

Knocks loudly when starting from cold for a split second, then quitens right down, and gradually gets louder again as the oil warms up.

Has anyone else had this problem? What was it please? And more importantly, how expensive was it to fix??!!!!

I thought it might be a sticky tappit, but not so sure.

If anyone can diagnose this, please help me!!

Cheers
Dave

·
2.8 HKSステップ3 、
3,072 Posts
Dont sound like det to me.. But as tigger says.. get it checked..

·
Devils disciple
860 Posts
It could be cam related,when were the cams swapped?were the original tappets/lifters used?also i've known other makes of cars to sound cammy due to poor oil circulation and poor oil pressure,has the car done alot of miles as the oil ways could be clogged,it's very hard to diagnose without actually being with the car though.

·
Banned
5,275 Posts
Alpina, be very careful, as venners says could be clogged oil way or maybe your oil pump could be on the way out.

Even if your gonna drive it to the garage keep your eye on that oil pressure. I would try and get someone to look at it where it is now. Better safe than sorry, good luck.

·
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oil pressure is still nice and high

Just spoke woth Ron down at RK Tuning (He has done all the work previously on this car)

The symptoms match exactly what he has told me - big end trouble!

Sh!t

Looks like I might have to save up a bit then LOL

·
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Think I'll whip the rocker box off at the weekend to rule out any top end damage, then off to the bank manager's office!

·
Banned
5,275 Posts
Sorry to hear it mate, still, if you've got a sympathetic Bank Manager I'm sure it will come back bigger and better

·
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah, gonna go for forged pistons, steel h/gasket etc etc

wannna get it over 500bhp at fly this time

(was 445 a couple of months ago at Well Lane)

·
Banned
52 Posts
BUMP! Must be a record 5yr old thread bump? lol

Anyway,

This is the same issue I have.

Just happened today, gave it some beans on the way to work and then a noise. Since then under 2k and the engine sounds 'ok' (slight noise but drowned out by other engine noises etc).

Rev it any higher and there is a knocking noise top end that increases in speed and volume as the revs increase to a pretty loud level. Almost sounds like something is hitting the under side of the rocker cover. Most prominent on inlet side.

Thoughts?

·
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Blimey, my thread is back from the dead!

Forgot to post up at the time, but turned out to be a f**ked crankshaft - had RK Tuning replace it and had a few 500 bhp upgrades as well, but came to over 6 grand at the time!

Got fed up with it constantly going wrong and sold it 4 years ago now

·
Banned
52 Posts
I did have the cam covers off for 2 days and 1 night while I painted them so I thought it was related to that but it my just be a coincidence.

im 99.99999% sure the sound is as high up the engine as possible right at the top, like I said it sounds like its under the cam cover.

·
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry to have to say I thought my sound was high up, but it was the crank - I really hope yours is something different though

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Blimey, my thread is back from the dead!

Forgot to post up at the time, but turned out to be a f**ked crankshaft - had RK Tuning replace it and had a few 500 bhp upgrades as well, but came to over 6 grand at the time!

Got fed up with it constantly going wrong and sold it 4 years ago now
off the topic
looking at your litte pic, did you have 2 Blitz stickers on the rear bumper.
of so. i built and worked on that car. :grinno:

·
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It did - did you work for Ron at RK then? When I had the car, he was still based in London, but think he might be in Essex now?

·
Banned
52 Posts
Just realised we live close together - I am only in Warboys!!
you can pop over at the weekend and help then :p

i'vve pretty sure its a lifter causing me trouble after reading loads of threads on here and youtube vids of the same noises.

am i right in thinking just need to remove the cams to get the lifters out and check them over? good soak in oil plus an oil change might sort it?

·
Registered
351 Posts
can be quite a job to do, so do lots of research in case i miss anythig -
time the engine up so no.1 cylinder is at TDC, and the crankshaft pulley should be at 0 degrees.
Its important everything is timed up correctly and that you dont knock or move it at any point.
Remove the cambelt covers to access it, and then remove by undoing the tensioner pulley. The crankshaft pulley also needs to be removed to get the lower cover off, if i rememver correctly (make sure the timing marks dont move!)
The intercooler to manifold pipe needs to be removed to get to the cams.
working diagonally from the outer cam caps updo the bolts a nip at a time - too much pressure in any area can cause excessive pressure on the cam, and it can snap (then you will be crying :S).
Keep each cam seperate and remember where they go, and how they came out because its how they need to go back in.

This will give you access to the lifters, which may be able to be pulled out with your fingers, if not put a bit of rag around some grips (to not damage the lifters), and take them out. remembering where they go. (not so important, but worth putting back as you took em out just in case - some lifters have shims, but ive not seen them on the RB25 engine as yet.

Checking them: you may be able to squeeze the pin inside and some oil may come out, or you might need something like an 8mm deep socket and a bench vise, to squeeze as much of the old out as possible, and clean them off with some brake and clutch cleaner. the pins should spring back out as you release the pressure from the vice, and you dont need to go mad tightening it to squeeze the oil out, gently does it, working in bakcward n forward motion (squeeze/ release)

once theyr all done, just do the reversal, but lubricate the slots where they sit with some clean engine oil. but when fitting the camshafts back in start from the center 2, working diagonally outwards, being carefull not to over tighten any of them, to prevent the cams from snapping. Making sure they came out exactly how you took them out.

clean the surface area and fit the cam covers & new gasket, fit new cambelt, guide & tensioner pulleys, and then recheck the timing, making sure you have the right tension so it doesnt slip / jump any teeth.

once its all back together, put new oil & filter, turn the crankshaft 2 times (full cirlce, twice) and make sure the timing marks are all still spot on and the tension still good on the belt. you shoud be ok to turn the key. after this.

remember that sometimes it can take from half an hour to up to a day for the oil to circulate around the lifters. The longest its taken for me on a different car was 2 days of running. I thought id done something wrong, but was assured id done it right lol.

I cant say im totally comfortable in writing all ths, cos if you (or me) do miss something, i dont want the finger pointing at me, so im doing it assuming you pretty much know what your up against in the first place. - Anyone can take things apart, its putting them back correctly so they work as they should that takes the skill and knowledge.

i hope this is of help, and i think ive covered it all, off the top of my head.
good luck

1 - 20 of 22 Posts