Skyline Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Paul H
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It weighs a ton so it has to go, anyone here been there ,done that, info would be appreciated

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Are you taking more than just the ABS out to lighten the car?

If not, it seems an extreme measure to remove a few kilo's, and on a GTR, won't be a popular mod to potential buyers.

I have not removed ABS, but I do know the master cylinders are different.

So I guess you would need a non ABS master cylinder, and getting hold of the brake pipes would help too, because they go straight to the wheels, rather than to the ABS unit.

·
Administrator
25,977 Posts
also be careful of mots as because r33s are now in the database if the car came with abs as standard and you remove it it may fail, if it was an option you would get away with it.if you do remove it you need to remove everything to do with it,abs pump,sensors,abs rings and all wiring as if any is there it will fail for not working.as the database tells you the sequence of the abs light, if it fails to light up the car fails if it fails to go out after the check sequence it fails so it would help if you have a word with a friendly mot station.:wave:
ps abs isnt that heavy and the time and possible expense to remove it to save very little weight is maybe not worth it.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I agree with everything that has been said - why don't you just drive it into a ditch now to save you the bother later? ;)

·
Paul H
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If any of you could see what already been done you may understand, the aim is to drastically reduce body weight, ABS is just one item.

·
Registered
772 Posts
If any of you could see what already been done you may understand, the aim is to drastically reduce body weight, ABS is just one item.
I wonder what people did before they developed ABS? :rolleyes:

I've removed it from my drift car, you don't need a new master cylinder, you just need to split the pipe for the front brakes into 2.

Thats all you really need to do, remove the ABS unit, bin the brake lines, then run the front pipe out of the master cylinder into a 1 into 2 splitter, (as in the picture above), then from that run one to each caliper. Then the rear into the block, located on the front O/S chassis rail.

You will need to remove the ABS sensors from the front hubs and rear diff and blank the holes off, otherwise you could fail the MOT for the ABS not working, which you shouldn't if it's not fitted.

Alex B

Edit: You can see the block for the rear brake line behing the slpitter block, thats there as standard.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Brake feel is the same as before, unless you stand on the brakes, then it locks up rather than the pedal vibrating/pulsing. Stops just as good as before.

I'm tempted to do it on my GTR too, though I'd try and make the pipes a bit tidier! :D

Alex B

·
Registered
366 Posts
hey paul.
i removed my abs from my s13 in the same way that alex did, although i put the front brakes through a line lock.
my r32 doesnt have abs either, i found both car a lot better under braking than when the cars had abs, just had to work a little harder on the limit :)

·
Registered
366 Posts
not sure what your bmc looks like on the r34's but i reckon if it looks like alex's in the pic below you could probably drill and tap the blanked outlet for the fronts and not have to worry about splitting the lines :)

·
Registered
772 Posts
Or, buy a master cylinder for a non ABS car, (it was on option on R32 gtst's), the blanked outlet actually has an 'F' in the cast, so I guess it would be used if the car didn't have ABS. Unfortunately I bought a new MC as mine was leaking, but before I realised I could have bought a non ABS one!

I chose the 't' piece route as I didn't want to risk getting any swarf into teh MC and ruining the seals.

Alex B

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
id happily lose my abs...
anyone have a rough idea on the potential weigh saving?

·
Administrator
25,977 Posts
dunno mate but its a year old thread

·
Dandy Highwayman
1,314 Posts
i removed mine ages ago, the abs unit itself which i've just put on the bathroom scales is 7kg so prolly not enough for a genuine performance gain but the pedal feel is greatly improved.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
ye my r33 gtst is a non abs version

i prefer it, had abs on my 328 bimmer and it was leathal in the snow, somtimes you need to lock the wheels.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts