Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How can I tell if my GTS has ABS? Should there be an ABS warning light when I turn on the ignition ?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Have a look

under the bonnet and on the passenger side of the engine bay, at the back. There should be a big metal lump (silver?) with metal pipes going into it. Should say ABS on it somewhere. If there is a big open space.... No ABS.

However, it may be somewhere else on an R33, so follow the pipes from the brake master cylinder (attatched to the big round black thing on the drivers side of the bay at the back) to see where they go. If they just vanish off toward the wheels... No ABS.

Sweet looking motor by the way!

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Indeed, no ABS, contrary to what I was told when I bought the car. Hmmmmm

Cheers

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Hmm....

There is another, less tyre friendly way to check.....

Get someone else's opinion other than mine, certainly, before going nuts at them as R32's are my thing, I am just assuming its in the same place on an R33. And, I believe you should have a dash warning light that comes on when the ignition is switched on, for a second or two.

Again, check with someone else...

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It was the lack of dash warning last that first made me suspect that I haven't got it. The pipes from the mast cylinder do go straight to the wheels by the lookup of things, so it really seems I don't have it.

Guess I should've checked myself rather than believing salesmen.

·
Banned
8,850 Posts
Mine has'nt got ABS, you cant miss the ABS like Jock says its quite a large metal block with several brake pipes going to it, roughly the size of a bag of sugar.

E

·
0 Posts
I haven`t got abs either. There is quite an easy way to find out. Find an empty car park while its raining & jump on the anchors as hard as you can :D

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
Eddie,
It must be noted that this doesnt work for all of us, that is unless we have had a few mins of severe breaking to warm the poxy things up to working temperature. Its either that or they just make reassurring noises but precious little else

Yes red stuff pads really are that poor when cold (im sure Buster will agree), warm however, well lets just say there is the dichotomy

Paul

E

·
0 Posts
While we`re on the subject i need some new pads. I think ive got a GTR front upgrade but std rear. I`ll put some pics up in a minute but what are the best pads to go for in everyone opinion?

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
Despite taking the pi$$ out of mine they work really really well on the track and for normal use once they have warmed up a bit. Buster has GTR front brakes and red stuff pads so give him a shout for his opinion.

I'd think about trying Ferodo DS2500, DS3000's or EBC redstuff

Paul

·
Banned
8,850 Posts
Eddie I have got GTR front brakes. EBC do Redstuff for em at about £65.(same as on 728 BMW) As Robo said entertaining when cold but bang on when warmed up. The rears are the same as a 300 zx twin turbo but they only do em in Greens, but thats fine as most of the work is done by the fronts.

·
Banned
8,850 Posts
Yep thats them. EBC part No DPS 1032 for Red Stuff.
A really easy job to do as well.
And they say you cant get the staff :D
Those are standard rears get you the part No in a bit

E

·
0 Posts
Cheers Buster. I was thinking about doing em myself (i always have on my other cars) & now you`ve said that i defo will. The brakes my RS are much the came. The discs are grooved & i cant remember what pads they are but once warmed & they`re stamped on they dont fade at all.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
I don't think

of it as hijacking... More a case of advice when needing pads!

Buster.... £65? Where di you get 'em? My red stuff fronts were over a hundred smackers..... Mind you, I have lowly GTS-T brakes still (until I get alone with your car and a bag of spanners!)!

·
Banned
8,850 Posts
The rear pad Green Stuff is DP2826. Tho one word of warning I have'nt fitted these yet, so I cant swear they are right.
Perhaps you can't get the staff after all.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts