Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, when im driving mt 95 gtst skyline i can put the foot down and theres a great boost of power when i hit 3 or 4000rpm but when in second or third gear it revs up and as it hits 3 or 4000 rpm it boosts but seems to stop for second before going higher in the revs ? i dont know whats causing this 1st gear is great but if im in fourth and drop down to 3rd and rev it will again start to take off then kind of waits a second then continues, quite annoying.
can anyone help please? only mods are intercooler, blitz dump valve and hks dragger exhaust system.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hi guys, when im driving mt 95 gtst skyline i can put the foot down and theres a great boost of power when i hit 3 or 4000rpm but when in second or third gear it revs up and as it hits 3 or 4000 rpm it boosts but seems to stop for second before going higher in the revs ? i dont know whats causing this 1st gear is great but if im in fourth and drop down to 3rd and rev it will again start to take off then kind of waits a second then continues, quite annoying.
can anyone help please? only mods are intercooler, blitz dump valve and hks dragger exhaust system.
Same as everyone else..either your coilpacks is the issue or your problem is that the car goes to rich...

·
12,294 Posts
Don't just throw money at new coilpacks. Is it a stutter like a misfire, or is it just holding back? If it's holding back, it'll most likely be your standard ecu pulling the ignition timing back to 5 degrees due to your mods increasing airflow. You can use consult to verify this by datalogging the airflow readings and ignition timing.

If it is a misfire, try making non conductive coilpack rails, there's a thread about doing it that's stickied. Won't cost anywhere near as much as new coilpacks.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Don't just throw money at new coilpacks. Is it a stutter like a misfire, or is it just holding back? If it's holding back, it'll most likely be your standard ecu pulling the ignition timing back to 5 degrees due to your mods increasing airflow. You can use consult to verify this by datalogging the airflow readings and ignition timing.

If it is a misfire, try making non conductive coilpack rails, there's a thread about doing it that's stickied. Won't cost anywhere near as much as new coilpacks.
But the new coilpacks will fix his problems if he is having a missfire...but for how long nobody knows...i fixed my coilpacks with heat resistant silicone and that worked for about 2 years

·
12,294 Posts
But the new coilpacks will fix his problems if he is having a missfire...but for how long nobody knows...i fixed my coilpacks with heat resistant silicone and that worked for about 2 years
Not necessarily, if it's a misfire, then it could also be caused by wrong or worn plugs, incorrect plug gap, ignition amplifier if it's a spec 1, weak fuel pump, blocked injectors, etc, etc. Just throwing money on coilpacks isn't automatically going to fix it, they aren't a miracle cure. And even if it is the coilpacks, he can make non conductive coilpack rails to stop them misfiring for about 20 quid, instead of buying replacements.

But at no point has he described his issue as a misfire anyway, he says it feels like it's hesitating in higher gears, which is far more likely to be down to the standard ecu not liking the increased airflow, so pulling the ignition timing back to 5 degrees.

It's better to prove where the problem lies first rather than blindly throwing money on parts it may not even need.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Not necessarily, if it's a misfire, then it could also be caused by wrong or worn plugs, incorrect plug gap, ignition amplifier if it's a spec 1, weak fuel pump, blocked injectors, excessive oil in the bores, low compression, etc, etc. Just throwing money on coilpacks isn't automatically going to fix it, they aren't a miracle cure. And even if it is the coilpacks, he can make non conductive coilpack rails to stop them misfiring for about 20 quid, instead of buying replacements.

But at no point has he described his issue as a misfire anyway, he says it feels like it's hesitating, which is far more likely to be down to the standard ecu.

It's better to prove where the problem lies first rather than blindly throwing money on parts it may not even need.
Okey well ofcourse there can be alot of problems when it comes to a missfire :p but most of the time its because of faulty coilpacks or plugs :) but you are more then right hehe....and i agree with the standard ecu problem, i had the exact same problem that the car was hesitating and i "fixed" it with a apexi afc neo (not the best way) but it works kind of great :p

1 - 11 of 11 Posts