Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I recently sold three coil pack rails on the following thread:
http://www.skylineowners.com/forum/30-parts-sale/302737-acetal-plastic-coilpack-rails-r33-skyline.html

I am thinking of getting some more cut in larger amounts. I have been in touch with my water jet supplier to see what it would cost to get some more rails cut in bulk. The design would essentially be the same, with possibly some refinements.

The image above is for reference ONLY, to show the design, which I sold few weeks ago.

I am pleased to announce that I can offer the same design at £36. This includes First class postage and all the screws. (18 or 24 screws, depending on S1 or S2)
I can only manage this price if I get 20 - 25 sets cut.

I will only go ahead in getting these cut if there is a demand.

Thanks,
I look forward to hear from the community
Saabi

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great. If can get a few more people, I can proceed to buying the raw material.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Someone on here already made some, might be worth touching base with him and see if he's willing to send you his design for manufacture etc?

I'm interested though either way ����

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Someone on here already made some, might be worth touching base with him and see if he's willing to send you his design for manufacture etc?

I'm interested though either way
Good to know you are interested.
Yes, I am aware that it has been designed before. But, I myself reverse engineered my coil pack rails.

The only reason I went away from this design and chose the segment design is to save material. To give you an example, from one sheet I can yield 24 sets of the design I am offering.
However, this OEM design (in the image above) uses up a lot more material and from the same sheet, I can only get 15 sets made. So naturally it would be more expensive.

I would have to review the prices for the OEM design. I will get costs for this and post it here. But I cannot offer this design in £36.

If I can get some feedback as to which design is preferred, I can go down that route. I went with the segment design because of the greater percentage yield.

Thank you for your input. ?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
what do these do apart from nothing? how are they better over the stock item?
lol

Why would people be buying and selling these if they did nothing? :)

This is and invention that Andy42uk came up with on this forum. It has solved misfire problems for many and made the engine run smoother for other. This is the link to his thread where he first introduced the idea:

http://www.skylineowners.com/forum/21-tuning-technical-questions/163854-how-stop-coil-pack-related-missfires-cheaply.html

In Andy's words, which makes complete sense:

"The coil packs even when the insulation starts breaking down still produce enough spark power, just that it 'leaks' out to the nearest ground rather than sparking in the combustion chamber (path of least resistance), that being tha aluminimum coil-pack holders/rails."

That basically means that when the insulation around the coilpacks start to break down, the spark tends to ground through the metallic rail. If that rail is changed to a material that does not conduct, your coils (which are on their way out and are still capable of a powerful spark) could last longer.

This setup is not a guarantee to fix the misfire. It has ,however, solved the problem for many and it may do it for others too. The idea behind it is very logical.

It is a cheaper alternative to completely changing the coil packs which cost significantly more. I know in some cases people have changed the coilpacks to find out it wasn't the problem. This could be their saviour.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Right everyone,

I have some prices now for the OEM style rails now as shown below.

This will cost £42 including fixings. I am not sure on the postage. But it should not cost more than 2 - 3 GBP. So you are looking at £44 or £45 delivered.

The only issue is that I cannot get Acetal in Black. I can source it in white. They are both exactly the same material (same mechanical and chemical properties from the same supplier), but obviously the appearance is different.

Guys, can you please confirm if you are happy with a white acetal rail?
And can you also please share which style of rail would you guys prefer?
The segment style or the OEM style?
The segment style will still cost £36.

Thanks,
Looking forward to hear from:
addR32
Jay46
JC_R33
Chris shrews
furiousgta

And any more members who would be interested.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi Saabi, Just back from lunch and saw the posts/PM yes please put me down for an OEM set Series 2 please mate

Furiousgta
No worries. Request noted.

OEM style is the popular one out of the Five interested.

addR32 - TBC
Jay46 -TBC
JC_R33 - OEM
Chris shrews - OEM
furiousgta - OEM

I will give addR32 and Jay46 a couple of days and then proceed.

Thanks.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Sorry for the late reply OEM would be better for me but I'm easily pleased. I'm not fussed about colour as there a cover over mine. Thanks for all your hard work so far in sorting these out

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Sorry for the late reply OEM would be better for me but I'm easily pleased. I'm not fussed about colour as there a cover over mine. Thanks for all your hard work so far in sorting these out
No problem.
The vote is pretty one sided. OEM - 5, segment - 0.

I want to update everyone.
The material has been bought and the data has been released. All going well, I will have seven sets ready by Friday or Monday. Material will arrive end of this week.

Hopefully, I will be posting the parts Early next week.

Since 5 of them are potentially sold, that leave 2 sets for other members.

Thanks.

1 - 20 of 123 Posts