Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi im looking to replace my front tyres, im only looking to spend about £50 - £70 quid a tyre. Ive seen a few on ebay for around this price or less than this, but was wondering about the quality of these tyres. I will list some that I have seen below and you can share your opinions on these makes.

Firenza-st-08 91W

Infinity inf-05 91W

VR nankang ns-11 91V

Kumho kh-11 (dont know load index or speed rating)

Cheers

·
Forum loiterer!
1,707 Posts
have a look on www.mytyres.co.uk they have reviews on all the makes so you can compare them to see what ya money is buying you

for a buget i'd have a look at Nexen N3000

most local tyre fitters should be able to get a price very close to this as they will charge you to fit someone elses tyres.

·
Premium Member
23,136 Posts
NEVER. SCRIMP. ON. TYRES.

Always buy top quality or you'll regret it later on. Nexen and Regal have a good reputation for brands at the lower end of the scale, but my personal choice would be Toyo TR1's.

·
proud owner of an RB26
314 Posts
what size wheels have you got?

If they're 17's you could probably get quite a decent tyre for a little more than you've budgeted for...

I totally agree with GB, it really isn't worth going cheap when it comes to rubber..

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
what size wheels have you got?

If they're 17's you could probably get quite a decent tyre for a little more than you've budgeted for...

I totally agree with GB, it really isn't worth going cheap when it comes to rubber..
There 17", what would reccomend.

·
proud owner of an RB26
314 Posts
well if you're looking for a 235/40/17 you could get the Toyo T1R for £78

people who run them rate them very highly.

What's the actual tyre size you have at the moment?

·
proud owner of an RB26
314 Posts
no, I'd suggest sticking with the size you've got at the moment. I only used the size as an example to get a price.

For 215/45/17 both the Toyo T1R and the Goodyear Eagle F1 (GSD3) are less than £80. The Goodyear's only £5 more than the Toyo.

Either of these tyres will have you stuck to the tarmac :D

·
Premium Member
23,136 Posts
I know Eagle F1's are great but I have heard of them getting a bubble in the sidewall :(

·
proud owner of an RB26
314 Posts
:eek: haven't heard that before! I know a few people that run these and they swear by them.

Personally I like to be different and I'm currently on Pirelli P Zero Nero's and they have completely changed the car's handling for the better. I'm really impressed.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Depends what size - camskill are doing wicked deals on them at the moment

http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php?plid=m4b0s0p0

Having been out in a 14a with them fitted yesterday, I can say they're pretty competent
I wouldnt want to look as Ive just bought a set of 4 and dont wish to see if I could have got them cheaper :alco:

Ive tested my Falken 452's around the Nurburging. I believe Moff had them fitted aswell as Nick with a R33GTR and he goes all out nuts on there. He came back into the car park after a few laps saying "they are ****ing amazing"...

Nuff said. :notworthy :D

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
I have just fitted Nexen N3000's to the front of mine for £50 each. So far they are very good, stay away from Regals though.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Depends what size - camskill are doing wicked deals on them at the moment

http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php?plid=m4b0s0p0

Having been out in a 14a with them fitted yesterday, I can say they're pretty competent
Cheers for that I can get a pair for £122, Ive got a bid in for a pair of bridgestone Potenza REO 50. 215/45 R17. If I do not win Ill probably go for the falken's.

·
Registered
441 Posts
That's quite alright - I like to share around where the good deals can be had :) In fact, I might well order myself some now - the R32 has been just too plain scary for just too fecking long :D

·
Registered
577 Posts
Just ordered a set of Falken 452's from Camskill for £229.60, bloody good value. I know I'll have to pay for fitting but still works out a good price.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
NEVER. SCRIMP. ON. TYRES.

Always buy top quality or you'll regret it later on. Nexen and Regal have a good reputation for brands at the lower end of the scale, but my personal choice would be Toyo TR1's.
id put it differently.
never buy crap tyres (aka nankang etc). but price isnt a good idicator of how good the tyre is.
theres a lot more to tyres than their branding.. have a look at look at (imho) overly expensive Pirellis PZeros and then compare the tyre ratings (UTQG US ratings) to say 'cheap' budget Kuhmo ecstas.. less than half the price, with higher treadwear values and equally high traction levels
see Uniform Tyre Quality Grading near the bottom
http://www.tyresave.co.uk/tyreinfo.html

Ive just started using the Kuhmos, and theyre great.. I started on Bridgestone Potenzas S03, then tried my old favourite Toyos T1-R and now im on the Ecstas.. JUST as good on the Skyline as the others. (and cheaper)

bear in mind its not so long ago Toyo we in a similar position to Kuhmo.. were used in top level motorsport yet frowned upon by general public as cheapo tyres.. thats when i started using Toyo and now its a public firm favourite..
Kuhmo i predict will follow the same way.. (and then the prices will rise similarly to Toyo) so get em while theyre cheap i say!

one last thing. Kuhmo Ecstas are ideal for skylines too because they have uneven tyre wear indicators on them! so you'll know much sooner that you need your front camber sorting BEFORE youve killed just the inner shoulder on your nice brand new tyres!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts