Skyline Owners Forum banner

advice wanted from all you guys

2K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  RoboPope 
#1 ·
Hi everyone, 1st post and all that.
Here's the situation:
- I have £8-8500 to spend on a skyline and need advice on what options are open to me. Obviously I want the best (and fastest) one I can get to tempt me away from buying RX7's all the time :)
- I see a few GTR 2.6 twin turbo's on auto trader which look nice but that and Gran Turismo are my only practical experience of these cars!
Any advice from owners who know the model range would be most appreciated.
Adam

#2 ·
Welcome Adam.

Where you based?

Are you looking specifically at a GTR? Or would a GTS suffice? A 34 is clearly over budget, but maybe a 32 or 33? Quite a few cars up in the for sale section here at the moment.

What's wrong with RX-7's anyway? ;)

Cheers,

Ben

#4 ·
Thanks for the welcome mate.
- I'm in central London
- I have the money in the bank and want to get a car before xmas ideally
- I would like a twin turbo (hard to go back now after RX's) so I presume I'm looking at the GTR? (they are the top of the range twin turbo ones aren't they???)
- I presume the GTR Twin Turbo's for sale in my budget on auto trader are R32's?? R33's must be more expensive surely?
- What the hell is V Spec or type M?

#5 ·
R32 for that sort of money is more likely than the 33, if you see one that price i would stand a mile away from it.

#6 · (Edited)
You will likely end up with an R32 GTR very few vspecs of the 32 were made so they command a significant premium without having a hugely different spec

With your budget i'd get someone from one of the clubs to go with you as are there as you are looking at the well used end of the market and be very careful with the history. There are very few people in teh UK with a decent rep for looking after these things so make sure it is well checked

Personally i'd have gone for a 33GTS for that money it will be more fun to drive than a standard spec 32GTR which is a bit flat by comparison

Pope

#7 ·
well on autotrader there are:
- several import (i presume, some of them say) R32 GTR twin turbos 2.6 some V Spec
- or plenty R33 GTS 2.5 single turbos.
What's the performance difference because if it is minimal I guess a '95/96' R33 is going to be more reliable?

#8 ·
depends on what you want go for a test drive in both to see for yourself.

#9 · (Edited)
In standard for the GTS is 245 and the GTR 280 but loses more through the transmission so they are roughly the same in terms of performance.

There are many R32 skylines advertised as vspec but most are not, you can tell from the chasis number. Actually weve seen GTS advertised as GTR's too

Chasis numbers

KBNR32RB etc etc on a Vspec

KBNR32RX etc etc on a normal GTR

Pope

#11 ·
Im thinking about logging in on the FD site and punting Skylines.

#13 ·
im sorry Father Pope I have sinned forgive me.

#16 ·
Thulsadoom,
Where in london are you? perhaps you should come up to one of our meets and have a look at a few of the members cars. Reliability there isnt much in it both seem to be remarkeably resilient although the rear arches on the R32 are prone to rust

Pope

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.