Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Advise on intercoolers...or is there any point getting one?

I looking to buy an intercooler kit for my 98 r33 gts. I found a few on ebay i was wondering if these are any good?

Also I have read around that intercoolers wont do much for more horse power and might cause tubro lags? is this true???? am i really just wasting money?

This one is $240 ex shipping from USA (have 3000+ ebay feedbacks):

Then there is this one $170 ex shipping from USA:

Then there is this one for £170 ex shipping from Hong Kong:

If any of you could advise me on any of these would be really apprecaited. It seems to be working out cheaper for me to get one from America or Austria as I live in Ireland and im getting killed on the exchange from from £'s to €'s

THanks

Al

·
Peppered schlong
860 Posts
You will get what you paid for though alf15. The likely hood is you will need to cut back viscous fan blades and perhaps do some other jiggery pokery to get it to fit properly!
Drifworks do a posh fmic kit for bout £400, which would be a perfect fit, otherwise keep an eye out for the Greddy spec M fmic, I have seen these on ebay for bout £300 inclusive of p&p.
If you haven't done any other mods to the car it is likely you will see a bit more lag as you are running satndard boost pressure and turbo!

·
Belgium/Netherlands Area Rep
2,060 Posts
no need to cut the fan blades on kits like fe blitz and japspeed
if you have already done mods like exhaust (cat back + decat + downpipe + turbo elbow), air filter, boost controller, plugs, safc or aftermarket ecu, an uprated IC should be sort of next on your to do list , not a waste of € at all then

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cheers guys, well only have the car 2 months now, it has a aftermarket exhuast with turbo elbow and apexi induction kit. I just put a manual boost controller on it and just added a decat pipe...im gonna save some more money and go get a greddy type m intercooler now!

If i havent upgraded my ecu am i wasting my time with intercooler?? Should i really upgraged my ecu first?...if so what is the best type of ECU for gts-t?

Thanks
Al

·
Registered
311 Posts
All depends on what your plans are for the future bud. You can fit the intercooler without having to get an ecu but if your going for bigger power you'll need one eventually.
Got my greddy spec m delivered to my door for 540 euro.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I'm thinking about trying to getting more power out of it...but can the GTS really put down say 350-400hp onto the ground seen as it is only rearwheel?

I've heard from a few people that its a waste of money tryin to get that power out of a GTS, because the car will just keep spinning wheels on take off etc!

Al

·
Administrator
14,725 Posts
Ecu is worth it regardless of power level wanted as it will give you smoother running, more BHP and MPG.

But fit the front mount first, then map the car to it.

I've seen plenty of people with the ebay kits fitted and very happy with them, The first one looks a good ic and kit.

If you fit the front mount and dont run the extra boost or a mapable ecu you will gain lag.

·
Best looking member
663 Posts
The very top picture is the fmic I've just had fitted, fits pretty easy but having trouble at the minute, i'll let you know how I get on.

By the way before you even buy an intercooler you'll need to buy a new air filter, piping won't fit round the standard air filter

Grassy Ass :cheers:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts