Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Ut oh
3,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any reason why i shouldn't remove the gauze at each end of the air flow meter?

Plus point of removing them is that it'd stop me thinking about it getting sucked through the new turbo..:eek:

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Thats

a good question...... Wish I knew the answer!

My theory is that they wouldn't have put it there if there wasn't a good reason. Obviously if the AFM self destructs then it stops big bits of plastic reaching the impellor. Likewise, it also stops bits of filter reaching the AFM. I reckon thats all its there for, a crude safety/protection device.

·
Ut oh
3,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
good points...i think i've developed a form of turbo paranoia..:crazy: ....i think perhaps more regular inspections would be a better idea.

·
Ut oh
3,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its one of those things that you just don't really know how well its connected to the afm its self, i spoke to someone off sdu about this a month or two ago and he actually said it was a cheap mod to improve air flow!

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Hmm...

Guess it would make a bit of a difference. Not sure I would be very comfortable removing it, certainly not the one on the turbo side. Would consider the filter side though as an AFM is cheaper than a turbo!

·
Registered
49 Posts
hi mate,

i remember reading somewhere that it is not a good idea to remove the gauze, it was possibly on the free horsepower thread on SDU, but a few top tuners were qouted as saying leave it well alone, just cant remember why....

have o look on SDU free horse power it may shed some light

-Reece-

·
Ut oh
3,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hello bud,
Thanks for that i'll have a browse through it....best thread ever that free horsepower thread and probably the biggest as well.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Do NOT remove the gauze from the AFM, its there to spread the airflow through the AFM and stop air turbulance from forming.

Smoothing out the airflow via the gauze is to ensure the AFM picks up a correct measurment of the air flowing through it, removing it can have disasterous effects :-(

1 - 10 of 10 Posts