Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ill cut to the point, basically after 4500rpm about when the 2nd boost kicks in i get this weird SOUND that comes out that sounds like a printing machine kind of thing im assuming is coming from the turbo or i dunno where it is coming from...

I never had this problem before the back speaker installation where i had to remove and mount back the hicas ecu and battery from the boot, but i highly doubt its related...

Any IDEA PLEASE??? is my turbo stuffed??? is it familiar to anyone please???

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
Have you checked all of the pipes for cracks/splits and does it feel as if you are loosing power when it happens? Also have a look around the turbo plus all the hose clips.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
if i was losing LITTLE bit of power, then i wouldn't have a clue but i dun think i lost any power and also my stocky sh!tty boost gauge tells me im pulling 7 psi as usual...

It only occurs after when the 2nd booost kicks in but not before that....

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
I can`t think that it would have anything to do with your rear speaker install.

Very difficult to say without hearing it .

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
you know when you step on the throttle not too much and not too less, it sometimes gives out some squeaky sound....its abit like dat

·
Tyne/Wear/Tees Arse Rep/Gtr Shop Rep
11,412 Posts
follow the airfilter pipe back to the turbo, undo the ringpull and remove the pipe from the turbo. You should see a wheel with blades on it, in the centre of the wheel is the shaft, use your finger and thumb to try and wiggle the shaft to see if there is any play/movement anything more than 1mm movement isnt great :thumbsdown:

·
Registered
311 Posts
I may be way off the mark here but i remember fitting speakers to one of my cars a while back and when i accelerated hard there was a whirring noise in the car. Something to do with cables not being insulated properly on the speakers. are you sure the noiseis coming from the engine??

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for your help mark, ill do just that and see...another fukn issue i just found out just then is that it seems like my exhaust pipe is leaking somewhere because as i accelerate hard i can hear the wind type noise from bottom of the car...i think its a LEAK but i don't find any power being taken away as of now, this happened after today hitting like 10 HUGE BUMPS with my 3.5 inch exhaust pipes FUK!!!!!!!!!!

also thanks for ur reply there goulding, i feel lil better to know its just some cable not being insulated properly but the whirring noise is coming i think from the front area of the car not really the back area where the speakers were put in...

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
youre not talking about alternator whine are you???
does it happen with the stereo switched OFF?!?!? (completely off not just turned down)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Even with the radio DECK OUT it still happens but like i said its after when the 2nd boost kicks in...

·
11,412 Posts
the noise is kinda like a metalic squeel if that make sense

play dosnt mean its goosed but is well on the way

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes i am getting kind of that metallic squeel noise but i get it after about 4500k rpm...Could it still be a shaft play? or is it supposed to give a metallic squeel from the start when turbo kicks in from about 2-3k rpm??

·
11,412 Posts
Yes i am getting kind of that metallic squeel noise but i get it after about 4500k rpm...Could it still be a shaft play? or is it supposed to give a metallic squeel from the start when turbo kicks in from about 2-3k rpm??
No it will only squeel at higher boost when the pressure causes the shaft to wobble violently

So what will i have to do??? Change shafts??
Recon the turbo or buy a new one

It is quite exactly like this SQUEEL:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0_VHfXGfUw

Please tell me its not the shaft play...
Sounds pretty much like mine before it went pop,:thumbsdown:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts