Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is this something to be concerned about or will it not matter in the grand scheme of things?

Simon

·
Banned
6,537 Posts
I would personally prefer them to have oil squirters as it's just a bit of back up isn't it?

Is there anyway you can have them retro fitted?

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it would mean precision drilling a tiny hole through the conrod, would make them no longer cost effective - if it is even possible....

my thinking is that the forged piston should be able to handle it, after all the RB30's don't have squirters and they can run some big numbers, far higher than I am aiming for.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
they normally have buckets on the side that direct the oil up, you can get more from this than from the hole in the rod and at least you are not taking the oil from the bearing i suppose

i dont think the 2.5 lump has the oil squirters on the gallery though?, you could fit these as a extra precaution if you are brave enough

i also know people who will drill the bearing tunnel for pressure dependant squirters

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I could be wrong...
I thought the squirters in the rods were mainly for thrust side bore lube, and the block mounted 'preasure' ones for cooling the pistons, I'd DEFFINATLY get the rods drilled.
Andy.

·
Punch me.
9,398 Posts
R33GTS-T 350BHP said:
I could be wrong...
I thought the squirters in the rods were mainly for thrust side bore lube, and the block mounted 'preasure' ones for cooling the pistons, I'd DEFFINATLY get the rods drilled.
Andy.
i have yet to see a steel rod with a hole in (im sure they exist but its not the norm)

on other engines we have used the rods without holes and used them without issue as more oil is thrown towards the thrust by the buckets, you can get them drilled though, its no big deal and a few companys do it

·
Punch me.
9,398 Posts
chip said:
Ive now installed under piston oil cooling into my LET block, thought this might interest some of you :D

First step i centre punched the bearing tunnel for each of the cylinders:

Then drilled a hole (just like regal and wallace do) for the jets to sit in, they are an interference fit and the size of the hole is critical so i got a friend who is an engineer to create me a drill bit exactly the correct size.

Then rather than go down the route of drilling the bearings like the companies doing this normally do (they choose that route just cause its easier i guess) we decided that we would provide the oil from behind the shell rather than draining it back off the crank journal, as this way if i ever need to replace the bearing shells i dont have to start drilling them i can just install new standard ones like you would on a cossie motor or anything else with "proper" oil cooling.

Couple of pictures of my mate slotting them oil way in with a die grinder, i must admit i bottled it at this point and let him do it, as he spends most of his spare time grinding cylinder heads etc and is far more competant with a grinder than i am!
Id normally have had a go myself anyway but i didnt in this instance simply cause the block is completely finished now and the thought of scrapping it at this stage when slipping with a die grinder filled me with a fear that could only be described using your nose lmao.

Obviously anyone else who is going to copy me on these jets i would advise that this is the first thing you do before spending money on line boring etc!

Then i filed all the edges to make sure there were no sharp bits that could be potential stress raisers

The finished article:

How it looks from the top of the block:

and again (sorry, bit dark this one for some reason!)
x

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the squirters look the same as the one in the TFS rebuild thread (albeit none of them are bent!)

I will upload some pics of the rod in a little while.

Simon

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

the current squirters are fed from a hole in the bearing, I guess if I decided to go without I'd need different bearings to standard as well....

Simon

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
T.F.S...
You still preach, PLEASE try listening as well, I am try to help, not show off.
Thrust side bore wear would take a long time to show up, say 30.000 miles before ir was serious, just a guess....
So the rod hole is about lubricating the bore, NOT cooling directly.
The RB25DET and RB26DETT both have block mounted oil squirters, in fact for almost every purpose the blocks are the same.
Someone bothering to use steel rods will probably be a serious racer, and the engine will probably never see high miles, IMHO
If it is going to be (dispite it's level of tune/power) a daily driver, get the rods drilled like the OEM ones are, you know thay do that for a dam good reason.
Andy.

·
Punch me.
9,398 Posts
R33GTS-T 350BHP said:
T.F.S...
Thrust side bore wear would take a long time to show up, say 30.000 miles before ir was serious, just a guess....
The RB25DET and RB26DETT both have block mounted oil squirters, in fact for almost every purpose the blocks are the same.
Someone bothering to use steel rods will probably be a serious racer, and the engine will probably never see high miles, IMHO
If it is going to be (dispite it's level of tune/power) a daily driver, get the rods drilled like the OEM ones are, you know thay do that for a dam good reason.
Andy.

what are you going on about?, how on earth can you take offence to what i said???

people like you dont give me a chance on here, i was trying to help but i wont bother coming back to this thread now

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
R33GTS-T 350BHP said:
T.F.S...
Andy.
Who was preaching?

just so I can get this stright in my head. The block mounted squiter is fed by the movement of the crank, the hole in the rod is for getting oil onto the cylinder wall.

so the buckets on the new rod will do that job just as well as the holes on the standard rod?

Simon

ps why was that thread removed? it was one of the things that convinced me to give this rebuild a go!

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You can lead a horse to water....
I have tried to explain the 2 uses of oil in this application, thrust side bore lubrication via the 'hole' in the con-rod, and piston cooling by the block mounted squirters, 2 totaly different things.
The oil squirters will 'open' at a specific preasure (quite low, I think it is more anti-drain then a true preasure thing) and are feed directly from the high preasure oil gallery that runs along the block.
The con-rod 'holes' for thust side bore lube are esentially a 'bleed' from the big end bearing, also from the oil pump, at high peasure.
Simple realy, and both for good reason on a daily use car.
How hard is that to understand?
The 'fling' from the 'buckets' of the rod of any oil hanging about onto the bore wall is better than nothing, but IMHO will wear the bore much more rapidly than doing it right.
Andy.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
:crazy: If I am honest I had got the two things confused, in my original thinking the hole in the rod was somehow feeding the block mounted squirter.....

after looking at the pcis posted by TFS it all became obvious that I had got things wrapped around my head!

Still not 100% on which way to go with this but I am less concerned than I was. If some accelerated bore wear is all I have to worry about when doubling the power output then I guess it's not to bad.....

Simon

1 - 16 of 16 Posts