Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I never use the air con at all, uses way to much important fuel that makes me go faster! :dogpile:

I wanna take it off, but unsure on where to start and will it save much weight?

any help would be great!

·
Track addict
4,907 Posts
I removed mine, saved a bit of weight, free up engine power i suppose too
I removed the compressor and bracket, condenser and pipes, sell all the bits off and put money back into car job done!!

·
violence IS the answer!
1,371 Posts
Im wanting to do the same thing too matey!

I never use mine anyway, but i put it on the other day and it blew warm air so i reckon it needs re-gassing.

Id rather save my money and just get it whipped off and save weight and petrol like you!

·
Registered
4,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ill try and sell it again as its all in working order but everyone's taking there's off!!

chrisc - did you get any help selling it or did you just do it with out knowing what to do? was it easy? lol

·
Super Moderator
9,426 Posts
dont ever ever ever take the air con off. the small weight it may save wont compensate on a hot day....trust me I have learnt this from experience.

unless your car is for track or drag use only I just wouldnt bother.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Yeah exactly, we might actually get a decent summer next year and in 30 degrees you'll be kicking yourself :p

Take the spare wheel out if you have one, probably saves twice the weight :p

·
formerly known as mruk
3,942 Posts
how do you take it off? this still hasn't been answered :D

mine has a mind of its own and only works when i don't need it... like this morning it was bloody freezing and so was the aircon at 32degrees ffs

·
Track addict
4,907 Posts
How do you take it off? Well start by degassing the system, then its just a case of removing the various parts of the system, compressor condensor pipes etc. Its all just nuts and bolts at the end of the day:)

·
Track addict
4,907 Posts
dont ever ever ever take the air con off. the small weight it may save wont compensate on a hot day....trust me I have learnt this from experience.

unless your car is for track or drag use only I just wouldnt bother.
Lol where i live that would mean it gets used about 4 times a year!!
Was good for demisting windows, but for me personally little else.
Hense removal

·
formerly known as mruk
3,942 Posts
if it was cold, it may actually need a re gas????
I've grown to not care about it, as chris said i'd rather jinx the weather by taking it off and have a great summer than not take it off and hope that we don't have another drab washout like this year has been

what do you do to de-gas it chris?

·
Track addict
4,907 Posts
Well any garage with air con facillities, should be able to do this for you. Its just a case of pluging their machine into the system and withdrawing the gas.
They will probs charge you though!!

Or you could accidently loosen one of your air con pipes off, (obviously as you dont know what you are doing;) ;) and accidently allow the gas to escape!!!! Although that would be naughty!!;)

Stand well back as you dont want to be breathing the gas in, while you ponder over just how that could have happened.

You with me on this?:rofl:

·
bla
17,374 Posts
i was thinking of taking mine off too, then i thought about those hot days where it comes in handy.... as i get little air through the windows even when the throttle is down..... so its staying for me... :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts