Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any mathematical genious out there who can tell me what the equation is to work out the volume of air in litres used per minute at 6000rpm per litre capacity of engine size.

I think that sounds right, but you may have to read it twice to understand it.

Cheers peeps :D

·
M's Factory
5,240 Posts
Hint : Piston Sizing x stroke length x revolutions x 6 ( cos yer got six of em init ;)

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have tried the route of 2.5ltr capacity x 6000rpm and got 15000ltr per minute. This seems a hell of alot of air, but then again am i thinking to hard.

·
Banned
8,850 Posts
Based on the premise of 15000 litrs a minute, thats 530 CFM, in compressor terms thats a bigun. You would need a 120HP electric motor to get that from a compressor. Now that throws up more questions than answers .

·
M's Factory
5,240 Posts
bish bash bosh :)

·
Administrator
4,233 Posts
doesn't the fact that a compressor (turbo) is thrown into the mix make the whole calc extremely complex!

·
Banned
8,850 Posts
No not a turbo just an ordinary old industrial air compressor. Just trying to get a relationship into perspective between the air displaced or swept by the engine and something I (and maybe a few others) would know for comparison on how much air is moved.

·
Administrator
4,233 Posts
Buster said:
No not a turbo just an ordinary old industrial air compressor. Just trying to get a relationship into perspective between the air displaced or swept by the engine and something I (and maybe a few others) would know for comparison on how much air is moved.
Sorry buster, I wasn't actually relating to your post about compressors in that way. You post just got me thinking about the turbo....

N

·
0 Posts
Ah buster , but its not compressing the air , 2 storage , at say 100 psi, if ya get my drift

·
Banned
8,850 Posts
True enough Martin Nitesky but the compression on a cylinder is usually 120 psi. I was thinking more about the volume of air.
A piston compressor does have to overcome a rising air pressure as it fills a tank and the size of a compressor is measured in the volume of air it can deliver at a set pressure, hence a Halfords cigarette lighter job can give 120 psi, but it would nver run an air sander.
Just trying to get my head around the relevant horse powers between an engine at 300 ish and a compressor at 120 for the same volume of air.

I know I will shut up before my brain fries.

N

·
0 Posts
think on single cly then , on the down stroke after bang , exhaust
, then inlet , say a 100 cc piston , that air is at atmosphere , untill compression , so its still 100cc of air
does that sound right .

·
Registered
154 Posts
Not to forget that not all the exhaust gasses are expelled from the cylinder on the exhaust stroke ,something to do with improved emissions/combustion and valve overlaps etc. Hell I can't remember it's years since I was at college doing engineering and it was more fun getting drunk and educating the local female population than paying attention.:guiness: :guiness: :boobies:

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks guys, I think my heads popped on this one.
I will try the cylinder capacity route in cc's and convert to cfm and down to Ltrs.p.m
I hope this gives me the answer to my problem. If so I will let you in on the results and benefits in store.

cheers

·
"A Skyline with 4 doors?"
380 Posts
Here's a link to a great site for trying to calculate all of these figures for you!

http://www.turbofast.com.au/tfcalc.html

This is what I used to figure out the fuel pump flow and injector size I require for my vehicle.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The Engine uses 1 litre air per sekond and horsepower

Ex , 400hp=400ltr Air/sec

That is an easy way to calculate the airconsumption if you know the horsepower

its close enough if you want to know airfiltersize,Turbosize
and such ,But if you need to know the exact Airconsumption
to calculate engine efficiency or something like that ,
you will need a LOT of different engine data

Regards Maxout

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Big thanks Maxout, I can move forward on my project now and hopefully post a thread to give the results in the next few week.

Thanks to all for your help

1 - 20 of 20 Posts