Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Much to my neighbours joy my alarm goes off randomly. I have a hunch it is the motion sensors as it goes off when their security light comes on and the trees wave in front of it. Then this morning the sun was doing basically the same thing.

So question is. Keeping in mind it is a toad alarm. Can I just stick tape over the motion sensors to stop this? Will it effect any other part of the alarm. ie. will the alarm still go off is someone put a brick through the window?

:cheers:

·
Nurburgring 2009 cumon
1,088 Posts
I havn't got a toad alarm but I would have thought that you could adjust the sensitvity of the sensors in someway. Did you get all the documentation with it ?

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just got the instructions emailed from Toad and there is nothing about the sensitivity in that. Missus says to point the sensors further down like she had to in her car so might try that. Or failing that I now have the key fob instructions to turn the interior sensors of :)

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
I have a Cobra which started doing this after it was fitted. (went off if you even looked at it funny!) Took it back and they adjusted the sesitivity of the motion sensors and now its just right

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a Cobra which started doing this after it was fitted. (went off if you even looked at it funny!) Took it back and they adjusted the sesitivity of the motion sensors and now its just right
Ah I see. Excellent stuff. Will go this route when I get the time then.

Cheers matey

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Another few questions :D

Noticed the negative terminal battery in the boot is really close to the rear speaker. As in an inch gap. Just wondering if this will have an adverse affect on the battery over time?

Also; The alarm beeps 3 times when you shut it and not the supposed once implying something is left open. So I taped down the bonnet pin that alarms are attached to thinking the CF bonnet was not pushing it down. But still does it :-/

I will get it checked but I just don't have the time at the mo

·
Registered
491 Posts
I've got a Toad alarm that does exactly the same thing, (A101CL). I tried masking the sensors but it didn't make the slightest difference. There are interior & exterior zone switches & sensitivity controls on the unit, but I would need to strip out panelling to get at it, which I don't have time for just now, so I just turn off the sensors. (Press the Arm button on the remote twice within 2 seconds). Not ideal but it keeps the neighbours happy!

·
Registered
346 Posts
I'm not sure if they are trimmable but most alarms i fitted are, If you find the sensor, maybe near the roof light, it might have a pot that u just turn anti-clockwise to lower the sensitivity. If not it should be a 3 wire connector at the control box, disconnect that and see if its still falsing..
involves a lil bit of work but so best of luck or drop it back to the original fitter.. Best of luck dude!

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
im just glad you aint my neighbour, yr car would be in the breaking!! parts for sale section now:D
lol :D In that case I am blo*dy glad you are not my neighbour either :D

I would just deactivate the interior sensors but it wont because of the other issue of thinking something is not shut properly hence getting 3 beeps when locking :(

Just bought the car so original fitter is miles away. Definitely time to get someone to look at it though

·
Yeah boyeeeeeeeee
6,604 Posts
1) Inch gap by battery -ve terminal is fine.
2) Three beeps - how about if you wait for the interior light to go out, then arm alarm? Mine does this; essentially as the light is still on it beeps three times to let you know it will then ignore the interior light circuit (not really a good thing). If I wait for the light to go out, and then arm it, it only beeps once.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good news about the battery :)

Tried turning the interior light off and arming it but still did the same. Pretty sure I have waiting for the light to go out too and tried that

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
worth noting.. alarm motion detectors sometimes do not like any metallic objects placed near them..
I know on my old Clifford with microwave sensor mounted beneath the centre console/gear stick.. if i left anything metallic in the centre console, like a bunch of keys it would cause the alarm to 'chirp' for no reason.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Got someone coming out to look at this on monday. All be it at 8.30 am :( lol Fingers crossed

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Right. Got the alarm rewired as the 3 beeps were from the interior light. Just turning the interior light off doesnt work which I had hoped :) If I waited 30 secs after closing the door this would be fine but I am not standing around waiting all the time.

Interior sensors sensitivity was also lowered to stop the thing going off when light through the trees in the wind upset it. Guy was worried sensitivity was set to only half so said if it doesn't work could be an exposed wire or faulty sensor. But no issues over 1 day and night so far. Fingers crossed :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts