Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
speaking to a mechanic the over day about fitting a turbo elbow, front pipe and a stainless steel manifold to an already fitted strait thrugh exhaust and de cat pipe and apexi induction kit. Now, hes saying theres a possibility of me blowing my engine up because of so much air going through. he said i need an afm which i believe are pricey. is all this info true any help would be great
cheers ,karl

·
Administrator
25,965 Posts
i dont think so as i beleive the only problem with fitting all that is your car may overfuel like mad unless you have some form of piggyback ecu or an aftermarket ecu to control the fuelling side mate. and im sure the standard afms are rated to 350bhp

·
Track addict
4,907 Posts
You would already have an AFM (air flow meter) fitted, unless you have got mega horsepower and arent running one.

·
Space Filler
3,218 Posts
Sounds like you need to start taking your car to someone else. Your mechanic is talking out of his poopah. You might notice your fuel bills going up by a few pennies but all you need is, as Speedr33per said, some form of fuelling control.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds like you need to start taking your car to someone else. Your mechanic is talking out of his poopah. You might notice your fuel bills going up by a few pennies but all you need is, as Speedr33per said, some form of fuelling control.
nice one guys ,well relie:crazy: ved!!!!!!!!

·
Track addict
4,907 Posts
no pretty much standard mate. does the factory afm adjust itself then even when you add more mods?
The afm dosen't adjust itself, it's the ecu that adjusts it's self and will over fuel to compensate for the fact there is more air flow due to those mods.

As above get some sort of fuel controller and get it set up by a pro!!!!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The afm dosen't adjust itself, it's the ecu that adjusts it's self and will over fuel to compensate for the fact there is more air flow due to those mods.

As above get some sort of fuel controller and get it set up by a pro!!!!
cheers matey

·
Registered
351 Posts
youd benefit from cleaning the afm, and getting your injectors tested for leaks before spending out on fuel controllers - if youve only fitted a straight through zorst the e.c.u should handle it fine. if you havent done an ecu reset then should as this also helps with the running of the engine.

what fuel you use will also make a difference to its running and performance, so make sure your using whats suggested Ron wise (too low Ron can cause detonation, which is when your engine gets destroyed.

its only when you start fitting bigger turbo's (or maxing the current one out via boost control), performance cams etc that you really need fuel pressure regulators and the like (uprated pump)

guys / girls - I dont quite know the "norm" for forums, as in how much info to put out in one post, if ive written too much and shouldnt of (because i feel like im taking someone elses possibilities of posting, which i guess is a bit antisocial, but im only trying to help. So if this is a "bad" let me know and il change my ways :D

Cheers

r33import

·
Track addict
4,907 Posts
Just post what you want to get across mate, all advice is welcome:D

However i would deffo get some sort of fuel control, as they overfuel like mad with just a de-cat.

·
Punch me.
9,398 Posts
youd benefit from cleaning the afm, and getting your injectors tested for leaks before spending out on fuel controllers - if youve only fitted a straight through zorst the e.c.u should handle it fine. if you havent done an ecu reset then should as this also helps with the running of the engine.

what fuel you use will also make a difference to its running and performance, so make sure your using whats suggested Ron wise (too low Ron can cause detonation, which is when your engine gets destroyed.

its only when you start fitting bigger turbo's (or maxing the current one out via boost control), performance cams etc that you really need fuel pressure regulators and the like (uprated pump)

guys / girls - I dont quite know the "norm" for forums, as in how much info to put out in one post, if ive written too much and shouldnt of (because i feel like im taking someone elses possibilities of posting, which i guess is a bit antisocial, but im only trying to help. So if this is a "bad" let me know and il change my ways :D

Cheers

r33import

sounds fine to me mate

·
Registered
351 Posts
cheers for letting me know about that bit guys (the posting bit). ive been on one forum and i think they started getting the a**e with me giving away info - the post is only half what it was 'cos i got carried away lol

back to the threads subject, meester Karlos, any news??

·
Registered
801 Posts
Sorry if im highjacking the post
iv got about the same mods as karlos inc uprated pump, fmic, boost controller do i need a fuel regulator/controller? because i does use alot of fuel and seems abit down on power at the moment would a ecu reset help? what kind of controller would you recommend?
thanks.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sorry if im highjacking the post
iv got about the same mods as karlos inc uprated pump, fmic, boost controller do i need a fuel regulator/controller? because i does use alot of fuel and seems abit down on power at the moment would a ecu reset help? what kind of controller would you recommend?
thanks.
i think the fmic may give you a bit of lag mate, maybe thats why it feels a bit down on power

·
Belgium/Netherlands Area Rep
2,060 Posts
if you are planning to stop modding powerwise i'd go for the apexi safc
if you intend to gain more BHP get an aftermarket ecu

·
tdi power
13,297 Posts
no he's down on power because he is over fueling, all skylines do it when you start to mod them with the standard ecu

·
East Ireland Area Rep
6,702 Posts
no he's down on power because he is over fueling, all skylines do it when you start to mod them with the standard ecu
how come they overfuel so bad when you mod them, other cars dont

·
tdi power
13,297 Posts
just due to the ecu has some sort of self learning in it, but its limited and tend to over do it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts