Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
M's Factory
5,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To my best knowledge and a few words down the local, the idea turned to one direction this being a Brake Fluid Recirculator a little device that sits in line with the system and circulates the brake fluid with every pump of the pedal and therefore prevents localised boiling of the fluid in the caliper. It also has the added benefit of purging any trapped air.
Costs about £150 and is available from the likes of Demon Tweaks etc.

Now thats all well and good , but I have my doubts on the sustainability or reliability of this product, no claims about it just doubts.

In Rally they use racing brakes as in rallying at the WRC level, meaning liquid cooled calipers. In Gr. N racing the same Brembo system as in the standard car is used, albeit with different discs and could be with some further modifications. Saying this, most of their items are throw away after 50Kilometers etc

Next time i get to order from one of my suppliers I am going to run some tests on brake temps and see what temps I get, this way I can monitor some of these from day usage and also track time, when I get out again.

What I was thinking was , what about water jackets around the hosing for the braking system, all leading to a small electric pump and a small rad ?

Sounds cheap and potentially effective, maybe with the first item from Demon tweaks as an complete solution.

Any more ideas out there in the ether ?

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
why not just pop some metal fins on the calipers and divert air in their as they should get some air flow over them anyway?

·
M's Factory
5,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i dont think there is huge air movement in there and im not sure if that would actually stop the fluid from boiling. Im thinking of twoe things, one at a time.

1) Fluid temps
2) Caliper & Pad temp

S

·
0 Posts
as far as my limited understanding goes the biggest problem with brakes overheating is due to the surface of the pads overheating rather than the fluid boiling.

example.

I have a 405SRi that I use as a track car on it was a set of standard discs and calipers with a set of pagid fast road pads.

I did a track day at donnington and generally speaking could get in 11 or 12 laps before fade began to set in, but the braking performance wasn't that hot.

I changed over to a set of ATE power discs (these discs have two continuos grooves in the shape of the atom symbol) goodridge braided hoses and some dot5 fluid, but kept the same pads.

did another track day at donnington, braking performance was vastly improved but fade would set in at about 7 laps - and it was sudden, not a gradual loss but an oh sh!t here is goddards and my brakes don't work kind of thing.

I put that down to a more agressive disc and greater clamping pressure rather than fluid boiling - espcially as when I put new pads on the next day (drove home on bare metal :eek: ) there was no air to bleed out.

Simon

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
I think you'd be better trying to control the heat at source than trying to remove it from the secondary areas. I still think the right choice of disk, caliper, pad and importantly wheel choice are important to give the best condititions to allow the use f passing air for cooling with suitable ducting.

Just my 2p i dont know $h1t3

Pope

·
M's Factory
5,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just for those that feel like a little deeper interpretation into the Sh1t feel free to review the document I have been reading.

( Click )

S

·
0 Posts
That is hugly interesting - if a not just a little over my head!

what I found most though provoking was that fluid temp continuing to rise after the car was stationary.

so me coming into the pits and giving it 10-15 mins to cool down was not actually that helpful for the fluid!!

So I guess an ideal solution would be to circulate the brake fluid when the car is stopped, which would have two benefits, one to stop the fluid from boiling and two to carry heat away from the caliper and disc.

Simon

·
Registered
66 Posts
A tip for circuit work is to always take a couple of cooling of laps before going into the pits. Same is to not use brakes when car is stationary in pits. On the lines of brake cooling i saw someone that built hoses from the front of the car pointing on the disks on another forum (although swedish so i dont know how much good the text is to you guys but the pics might be of interest.)

·
Registered
66 Posts
ok lets se here im gona give it a try to post some pics up :rolleyes:

What they guy did was run a hose from the front of the car to a fitting he had made in the brake shields. He says it made a big difference in brake temps. This might be an ideato do something similar.

Hose placement looking into the spoiler from the front of the car.

Hoose comming into the wheelarch.

Brake shield modified incl fitting

How it looks when fitted.

Ohh yea the car is a Bmw M3 E46.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts