Skyline Owners Forum banner

Another Octane Question

797 views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  allias 
#1 ·
My GTS-T is mapped for Shell V power fuel (99 octane) however, I am having a real problem getting it (nearest garage selling it is 25 miles away). The best I can get locally is Esso Super Unleaded 97 RON fuel. I saw the following Add on eBay for Octane booster -

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....m=170157763792&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=007

Would I be OK to add this each fill up (a bit costly though), or could I get away with the 97 stuff.

a couple of other fuel related questions...
Will going above 99 RON do any damage?
Can I add anything else instead of octane booster?

Cheers folks
Mark.

#3 ·
More ron is fine, although if you don't get it mapped you won't necessarily see any more power (will be safe though) - the only stuff I know commonly available is the 102 (?) stuff for an absolute fortune.

Octane booster may help, but I've heard mixed reports about it (nothing concrete though) - I wouldn't risk it myself. 'Normally' people use it if they can't get correct ron, and then they drive off boost.

Best thing would be to get it remapped for 97 ron (sorry if that's obvious) :D

#7 ·
5th gear did some interesting tests on octane boosters last week. They tested 4 and all of them lost 2% in power over the standard fuel!!! Even though they tested it on a crappy rover K series I would think twice before spending my hard earned cash on any... probably cheaper to drive to the V power station anyway!

#10 ·
If it was me for saftey reasons i would just get the car remapped for a lesser fuel.

#12 ·
they can say what they like on their site but if it does not meet uk british standards for 97 then they cant put 97 at the pump

every other fuel company has 95/97/99 written on the pump but shell does not because their fuel simply does not meet UK requirements for 97 ron

their fuel can be 99 octane when its made but three weeks later when its in the petrol station octane drops and it fails the test

not that any of this really matters to me...i use asda 95 fuel:rofl:

#13 ·
I'm out of my knowledge-depth here.

For what its worth I only buy v-power from one very busy local garage (unless I'm away), so that it's as fresh as I can manage.

I pay a fixed fee to the governement and all my fuel is paid for by my company, so its v-power all the way for me :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.