Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It looks like Skylines vs. Bikes story continues...

Last saturday @ Brent Cross Shopping Centre in London
I've dropped off my girlfriend on a small T junction. I was going to turn right, rejoin the main traffic and go back home --- i hate shopping.
Traffic was really bad but luckily the bus driver on my right hand side has let me out. I've moved my car slightly forward, stopped in front of the bus to see if the left side was clear to go.
When i've turned my head left and i saw the other driver is also letting me out.
At this moment i've heard huge B A N G ! ! ! - a second later, biker on my bonnet.

Crowd gathered around the scene immediately, the biker laying on the ground and i've heard he was doing around 30-40mph at the moment of impact - I just thought to myself "it's over".
A moment later - i found out that he was okay, he only had small bruise on his knee - I felt so relieved.
Even today i just can't imagine how lucky he was. Maybe it's because i didn't move at the moment of impact. I'm really glad that he's fine.
As I found out later on, he was overtaking the bus and driving on the wrong lane.

Right now i'm just waiting for decision about my car. I'm insured with A-Plan but on saturday i had to deal with Ensign directly to arrange a recovery for my car. On monday Ensign people got back to me and told me that my car might be written off after i've described the damage.

I am DEVASTATED !!! :mad:

Now i'm waiting for an independent engineer to have a look at it and decide if it's worth repairing.
The problem is that the bike has hit me with an engine block and just smashed whole front end (photo attached).
I'm just hoping it's better than it looks. It doesn't make any noise when you start the engine and everything seems to be fine.

I don't even know if it's his fault or mine. It will take up to two weeks for police to decide (ridiculous).
If i will loose my car and my NCB i can probably say good bye to Skyline for next few years. :shakehead:

I wish it'll never happen to any one of you.

Balloo2u - I'm very sorry to hear about your situation - NIGHTMARE

PS. Sorry for my english, i know it's not perfect.

Attachments

·
Registered
231 Posts
generally speaking I'd say if you're stationery, it's the other guy's fault. I'm a biker so no bias. Also, even if it's a write-off, not the end of the world. category D just means an uneconomical repair. more often than not, after your insurance payout you can buy the car back from them dead cheap and fix it up yourself. not game over yet mate, don't worry :)

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
probably looks a lot worse than it is . glad your both ok and yes the police are useless, unless they can make money out of it.
we'll see you back on the road in no time, fingers crossed.

·
Premium Member
23,136 Posts
Just glad your all ok mate :)

P.S

I think that looks repairable ;)

·
Registered
530 Posts
No one hurt is the main thing, I had an incident where I hit a biker in a mkiv supra, biker broke his collar bone, but he had his bike in gear so when he came off the bike revved and ripped my front end to bits then shot over a dual carriageway. Because that was written off I ended up getting a gtst and now my new toy so there's always a silver lining. (The only shame is that I'd had the Supra for 6 weeks, bought for £7500, ins offered me £2500!!! I got them up to £5600 but it took a while).

·
confused.com
6,592 Posts
classic scenario. my bike intrusctor would have siad it was the bike riders fault for over taking a vehicle prior to a junction. this is something that all bikers should be aware off as the there is a high probability that someone would be coming out of the junction if the bus (or whatever vehicle has slowed)

i'd say his fault for not reading the road correctly. plus as you point out you were stationary , ie the road was clear ,you looked the other way, (at which point he overtakes) and then hes on you bonnet before you could re check and move forward.

put up what the decision is mate, itll be interesting to see which way things go but my gut feeling is it should be the bikers fault in this case.

·
Seasoned member
4,785 Posts
classic scenario. my bike intrusctor would have siad it was the bike riders fault for over taking a vehicle prior to a junction. this is something that all bikers should be aware off as the there is a high probability that someone would be coming out of the junction if the bus (or whatever vehicle has slowed)

i'd say his fault for not reading the road correctly. plus as you point out you were stationary , ie the road was clear ,you looked the other way, (at which point he overtakes) and then hes on you bonnet before you could re check and move forward.

put up what the decision is mate, itll be interesting to see which way things go but my gut feeling is it should be the bikers fault in this case.
i agree with you hesh

it pi55es me off a bit to see bike riders weaving in and out of traffic why cant they sit there and wait like everyone else:disappointed:

gutted for you mate but as above probably looks worse than it is, and glad to hear all involved are ok

·
Tyne/Wear/Tees Arse Rep/Gtr Shop Rep
11,412 Posts
looks bad but its probably superficial

hope it gets fixed would be a shame to kill the car for that

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
if you were stationary and he was overtaking the bus, how did he hit you square on the front?, would have thought it would have been your drivers side wing that took the damage?

·
Registered
385 Posts
:eek: :sorry:

Looks like more body damage then anything. Glad your ok and I agree with above. It was bikers fault and the insurance probably doesn't want to pay but the car looks as though it can be repaired.

Wish you the best.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hello everybody

Thank you all for nice words - it makes me feel a little better.

As Kevacky said: "No one hurt is the main thing" - You're 100% right mate.

jakester ==> I was standing in front of the bus, he didn't see me and i didn't see him. I'm assuming that he was trying to get behind the bus straight away after overtaking manoeuvre as there was another car in front of him (a guy on my left hand side).

I wish, it wasn't my fault and now when i think about the whole situation, i can't imagine myself doing anything differently to prevent this accident. But when i've read Balloo2u's story i couldn't believe it and now i think that anything is possible. I'm prepared for worst case scenario, so at least i wont be surprised.
It's just the waiting that kills me. Especially now when i'm looking for new job - it's very difficult to travel 30-50 miles a day using a public transport.
Skyline was my only car and i don't want to drive anything else

Regards

·
Registered
231 Posts
it pi55es me off a bit to see bike riders weaving in and out of traffic why cant they sit there and wait like everyone else:disappointed:
would you sit and wait if you didn't need to? I know I don't :D but I have the sense to read the traffic and hang back if necessary, obviously this guy didn't.

best of luck mate, hope it all works out

·
confused.com
6,592 Posts
bikes buses and bluders

weaving in a out of the traffic is to some extent what we ride bikes for, however the caveat to that is that we as riders assume responsibility for checking that the area we are about to move into doesnt have some one else about to enter or leave it.

overtaking a vehicle infront of a junction is just asking for trouble, as even the best driver rarely expects to see a bike, the bikes acceleration catches most car drivers out, and really what have you gained by shaving those two or three seconds off your journey?

and apart from all that, buses stopped means pedestrians and kids ...so i used to hang back from buses unless absolutely certain then trickle past.

i still drive my car and often find my self asking "were i on the bike would i be in this road position?" if the answer is no then i back off or move as required.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts