Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
User of V-power
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Peeps,

So today im out for a drive and put my foot down in 3rd going up a hill, missus is watching the safc (which i have in peak mode) as i take my foot off to change gear it leaps to 175..... now this cant be good, but surley it shouldent be knocking as my foot is taken off and the clutch goes in for a change? (as the engine is under no load, once the foot is off) so i added a bit of fuel in, (all values where 0%) this stopped it, (it diddent go over 18 for the rest of the day)

anyone got an idea on this? (right up through the rev range it stayed @ 0, untill i changed gear) I was under the theory that knocking happend when the engine was under load? could this be a sign to replace my fuel pump? (maby it is struggling at the top??)

any help appreciated!

Cheers
Dazzler

·
AKA RSP
4,762 Posts
May have only picked up some engine noise. You will not get det if the engine is under no load unless somthing is seriously wrong.

Best thing would be to go and get it setup on a dyno. Someone down that way must have one!

·
User of V-power
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
this was my theory, as the other thing i forgot to mention that i have seen it before from changing from 2nd into 3rd, (jumped to 59) it stays at 0 right up untill i change, i was wondering if it was picking up the whoosh of the recirc...

as for tuning, need to get it in for sure, SAFC is basically monitoring at the mo, apart from today when i added a bit of fuel in....

anyone else have an opinion? or seen anything like this before??

Cheers
Dazzler

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Just a thought but don't they have 2 knock sensors, 1 for the front 3 cylinders and 1 for the back 3. I haven't got an safc yet and i don't know how they are wired in but if its wired into 1 of the sensors why not try changing it to the other one and see what happens.

·
User of V-power
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
At the moment it is wired into sensor 2, which i think is for Cyl's 4,5 and 6 which should in theory run the hottest?? it could be a naff sensor, engine still works after all! out this evening, 1 was the highest i got but then it is cooler....

the investigation continues

Cheers
Dazzler

·
Registered
305 Posts
I ignore the knock on the SAFC2 - Im sure its lying to me

Rather go by the one on the PFC - they never read the same - was advised that the safc2 doesnt read knock accurately anyway?

·
Registered
61 Posts
my cossie used to do this, it would go slightly lean as you closed the throttle and pink a bit, but only at very high revs. so i would tend to believe the safc and add a bit of fuel to stop it. i cant see it being a faulty sensor if this brings it back into line. better safe than sorry.

·
User of V-power
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
just noticed that i never updated this thread, I found the problem to be a loose connection on the Knock and RPM wires... never goes above 20 now, and thats only at Idle on a really hot day, 0 all the time while driving.

figured i better post the solution! (as i hate it when you never get an answer on a thread)

Cheers
Dazzler

·
Registered
610 Posts
u automatically wire it into both knock sensors if u followed the directions in the manual.
dont think it should go over 10 at idle... mine sits at 2 or 3 and goes to 0 throughout the revs

·
User of V-power
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
into both? i was told to pick one with a preferance to the 2nd as this was for cylinders 4,5 and 6,

surley it you wired it into both you would be connecting the 2? surley thats not good for the ECU? (as it would be seeing a mixed signal)

someone wanna chime in here and tell me im right or wrong?

Cheers
Dazzler

·
Registered
8,411 Posts
As far as I know you choose 1 knock sensor and connect the SAFC 2 to that one. I also decided to go for sensor 2 because it´s for the hotter cylinders 4,5 and 6.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts