Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
on my R34 GTT near the CAT there's a sort of hinged piece of metal very near the exhaust. I have no idea what it is (can't see it cos the car's too low, but can feel it) but it's annoying the hell out of me as the hinge has started squeaking so my car goes squeaky squeaky every time I go over a bump.

Any idea what it is?

·
Banned
5,275 Posts
Are you sure it's not the centre support bracket(it fastens to one of the flanges) this has rubbers mounting it to the car.
This is not hinged though(well not on a 33)

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Had a look earlier, can't see it properly without jacking up the car but I can see that it bolts to the back of the gearbox and pushes onto a lip on the exhaust pipe 3-4 inches before the cat.

Will try jacking the car up and getting a pic or two of it at the weekend.

I've tried spraying wd40 on it - that stops it squeaking for a day or so, but cos it touches the exhaust and gets really hot it soon starts squeaking again.

·
Banned
5,275 Posts
when you say "it touches the exhaust", it should be bolted to it!
Maybe it has snapped? and the noise is the 2 surfaces rubbing together

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Doesn't look like it could have been bolted to the exhaust but it could have been welded to it. Downpipe is in a pretty poor condition anyway and the heat shield is falling apart, so I guess it's time for it all to come off.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cheers. hmmm, have only seen mine from where the nuts would be but doesn't look quite like that. have also reached my hand to it and pushed it and it's definitely hinged and sprung.

Car is too low to get a camera under it but will jack it up soon and get a pic or two.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It was indeed the exhaust clamp, though it looks quite different to the pic above. It's got a big block of rubber in the middle which was why if felt like it was hinged. It's completely rusted away where it joined the downpipe. Bugger.

I'll post a pic later.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts