Skyline Owners Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
About to buy a gts but would like to hear of anyone who has got their car home only to find it be a shed or any reliability problems cheers for any posts:hippy: :aka47: skylines only thank you

·
bla
17,374 Posts
well i had a few problems.... My own fault really as i suppose i just wanted to get in and drive away.. plus it was dull so i couldnt see everything..

I had a slight ticking... Turned out to be snapped studs but i was oblivious to this... I thought it was tappets at first :eek: The manifold ended up snapping in half.. lol... So beware from a ticking tinny noise... If its light, barely hearable (is that a word, lol) you may be ok as long as you get it restudded straight away.

Other things were more on the exterior. But its all on the mend.. You will know if its the right one as you will have a gut feeling... If you question it walk away...
I wouldnt off if i could go back as i really needed transport. Plus i had the money to fix it...

All the best...

·
bla
17,374 Posts
P.s. You will have no reliabilty issues... Just overfuelling with breathing mods..... If you can find an uprated ecu and get a remap then you will be laughing.. :D

·
Registered
28 Posts
Got my car back to find a few problems, mis-fire at about 4500 to 5500 rpm, didn't notice it on the test drive as was taking it quite easy, as it was pouring down. I had an idle issue but cleaned up the ICV, and it was like new. Managed to knock £500 pounds off the price for these small problems!! :)

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
:hippy: i looked at 2 gts on one opened bonnet strut tops starting to rot so shut bonnet and moved on other car has tail pipe looks good not loud and a filter 17's and thats about it engine sound nice smooth and tight boot had damp smell but dry will inspect at second visit if car there when funds arrive but have a good knowledge of cars need it when they break cheers:hippy:

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
are you familiar with this here -----> . <---- its called a full stop lol

Best of luck on your impending purchase. There are about 180 skylines on pistonheads at the mo so you are spoilt for choice :)

·
Track addict
4,907 Posts
I got mine for a song at the time, as the gtst were selling for around 10k.
I paid 7k for mine with a lot of mods already done coilovers, exhaust, fmic etc
It was a bit rough but i expected to have to do a few bits and bobs due to the price. Only prob was the arse fell out of the market for them about 2 weeks later and i could have got a minter for the same price. Ha well you win some you lose some. No matter what car you get though it will cost you a fortune, as you will either be repairing it or modding it and neither is cheap:D

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OH DEAR plan to keep it standard for a while ,till i start to pop brave pills. The 5 turbo i have and rebuilt since january, has cost what i spent on that would have bought a mint gts ,lots done but sensible mods.

·
bla
17,374 Posts
:hippy: i looked at 2 gts on one opened bonnet strut tops starting to rot so shut bonnet and moved on other car has tail pipe looks good not loud and a filter 17's and thats about it engine sound nice smooth and tight boot had damp smell but dry will inspect at second visit if car there when funds arrive but have a good knowledge of cars need it when they break cheers:hippy:
the smell, i pressume would be from water getting into the rear lights and running in the boot... not a major prob but check for rust and any obvious places it could leak from..

·
R32 GTS-t
121 Posts
I'm hoping I haven't bought a lemon - I purchased an R32 GTS-T about 3 weeks ago, for just £1000. It's completely stock, no mods at all and drove the 200 miles home easily enough. After 10 days of driving to/from work it cut out though, which is believed to have been the battery shorting and also a damaged PTU. Both of which are being replaced and I should get a phone call tomorrow morning letting me know.

If that's all it required, then I'm lucky, but the PTU new from Nissan would've cost me £492 (+ VAT) alone. I originally planned to have the Skyline as my daily drive, but I'm keeping my 1.2 Punto for that, so that I can enjoy it more at the weekends.

·
Track addict
4,907 Posts
Thing is though, these are old cars now no denying that. Things wear out break etc any car is the same. At least the jap stuff tends to last a bit longer:D

·
Track addict
4,907 Posts
OH DEAR plan to keep it standard for a while ,till i start to pop brave pills. The 5 turbo i have and rebuilt since january, has cost what i spent on that would have bought a mint gts ,lots done but sensible mods.
Standard for a while!! Yeah right i will give you a week lol. I keep saying this is the last thing i'm going to do to it, then something else always gets done.
I think i have spent the best part of 8k on mine since i bought it, and it still aint exactly how i want it, not far off though now:D

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Standard for a while!! Yeah right i will give you a week lol. I keep saying this is the last thing i'm going to do to it, then something else always gets done.
I think i have spent the best part of 8k on mine since i bought it, and it still aint exactly how i want it, not far off though now:D
true true I keep telling myself and the wife that but inside us we all know what will unfold.:spank:

·
confused.com
6,592 Posts
crash damage is the worst night mare to find.. many of these cars are not declaired when crashed and some repairs may be better than others ....look carefully....forget the skyline stuff and look at the car its self ..shut lines repaired or replaced panels etc....

crash damage in and of itself aint reason to walk away ...bad repairs may be

1 - 18 of 18 Posts