Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
No longer a rep :( but still here :)
6,432 Posts
Ive had a hard on for them since i was a small boy.....

Always wanted one but you have to take the engine out to do litterally everything so never bothered

·
NORTHERN IRELAND AREA REP
8,583 Posts
I had one over ten years ago. Loved it, had it for 2 years UK manual twin turbo.
Give me no trouble other than the usual bits n bobs. Super LSD in them, never misses, dam i should have put it in storage or something :(
Here she is.....

·
Registered
107 Posts
I've had 2 now around 10 years ago and sometimes wish I had another instead of my skyline just for comfort reasons. The cockpit is amazing, with the gearstick being in the perfect position and height to barely move your arm. Wrote my first one off and turbo seals went on second after a decat. Still think they have one of the best looking engines ever too. uploadfromtaptalk1426164487464.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1426164493292.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1426164497708.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1426164501605.jpg

·
Registered
6 Posts
I live the Z-life! The turbos are probably no less reliable then any other model, but to replace them is an engine out job so the repair costs escalate. For this reason many, have been broken over the years simply pending turbo replacement, which I guess gives them a bad reputation. The early models are up to 25 years old now but a well maintained rust free car is a great car to own and the power potential from the VG30DETT is quite astonishing.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426229666.406358.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426229685.076517.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426229702.470876.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426229719.526626.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426229981.952269.jpg

·
Seasoned Member
9,055 Posts
Anyone ever thought of an engine transplant into an R33? Swap turbo's out whilst it's out... forget an RB30 when you can have that block in your Skyline! !

·
Administrator
25,947 Posts
i watched a garage replace the turbos on one of these with the engine in the car

·
Registered
6 Posts
i watched a garage replace the turbos on one of these with the engine in the car

Whilst it is technically possible, the experienced guys tend to find it easier, quicker and subsequently cheaper to just pull the engine. One side is ok but the other side is a pita!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Some real nice cars there :)

I knew there was something about the turbos that caused bother but I could forgive just for the looks of it. That definitely would be an interesting swap VG30DETT into R33!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't know as yeh that engine is huge! I was looking on google images and I think maybe the skyline engine bay has a little more space maybe?? But I'm sure it wouldn't be an easy task if it could fit lol

·
No longer a rep :( but still here :)
6,432 Posts
Be worth a try if you had a wrote off 300zx and an old gtst or something like that and a nice heated garage. Be a good winter time project........HHmmmmmm :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

·
Administrator
25,947 Posts
Whilst it is technically possible, the experienced guys tend to find it easier, quicker and subsequently cheaper to just pull the engine. One side is ok but the other side is a pita!
a lot of peaple and garages say you need to pull a gtr engine to replace turbos yet i do them in place.

however if your doing the same job every day then yes you will know what to do to make it easier

·
8,583 Posts
Mate of mine was in 'steer from the rear 'display team
They blew a zx at first show at Max power live in a zed
First show was 10:30am. New engine, found, bought & fitted for last show of day 6:30pm

·
8,583 Posts
Steer from rear where all over you tube in the 300's
They may have BORROWED a forklift off the NEC to aid removing and fitting of the engine

·
Registered
116 Posts
I had one which was running 397bhp but I sold it after just 2 weeks as its the only car which has truly scared me whilst driving (I was doing 50mph on the motorway in the rain and could feel the rear sliding back and forth).

It had been setup for use on track so was useless on the road really, wasn't worth me spending money on it to make it better for the road so I sold it and stuck with the 200sx I had at the time instead.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I had pirelli tyres on my rear originally and tiptoed everywhere as it just kept stepping out but I switched to toyo t1r's and the grip was amazing. Got a couple of vids of me at brands in it somewhere

1 - 20 of 20 Posts