Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I always take my "fun" car off the road during the winter to help preserve it, the road salt here kills older cars.

It also gives me time to tinker with things, over the last week or so I have removing old underseal and some powder coating which had been applied to surfaces with surface rust.

Once stripped and rust treated with rust remover it was then treated with POR15 before a few coats or paint and lacquer in the arches, and underbody wax on the rest.

Messy job!

·
Registered
573 Posts
Yep mine goes off road between October and March.
I asked this same question a few years back and quite a few who I haven't seen on here in a while used it all year round.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Nope! Mine never comes off the road (which is why mine is 5 different colours). Function always comes before minor things like paint
Mikeyp @ TMS Motorsport
Email us : [email protected]

TMS Motorsport - Road - Track - Race - Online Shop
10% OFF all website orders until the end of January 2018!
- We ship worldwide to your door, famous Brands such as -
- AP Racing - ASNU Injectors - HKS - Nitron - Mintex Pads -
- Turbosmart - Exedy Clutches - Deatschwerks - Cosworth -
- Pagid Pads - Japspeed - Direnza - and many more...

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nope! Mine never comes off the road (which is why mine is 5 different colours). Function always comes before minor things like paint
Mikeyp @ TMS Motorsport
Email us : [email protected]

TMS Motorsport - Road - Track - Race - Online Shop
10% OFF all website orders until the end of January 2018!
- We ship worldwide to your door, famous Brands such as -
- AP Racing - ASNU Injectors - HKS - Nitron - Mintex Pads -
- Turbosmart - Exedy Clutches - Deatschwerks - Cosworth -
- Pagid Pads - Japspeed - Direnza - and many more...

It's more the underside than the paintwork, there is salt on the roads here for 4-5 months of the year, absolutely will murder older cars, bad weather and salt do not mix well with steel :)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep mine goes off road between October and March.
I asked this same question a few years back and quite a few who I haven't seen on here in a while used it all year round.

Was just into November my car was put into the garage this year, like yourself March will hopefully see it back out again, weather permitting.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I keep mine off the road. Normally from November/December until March.
Around October I start keeping an eye on weather temperatures and local council salting schedules.
As soon as the temperature drops to salting territory it stays off road.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Always during the gritting period, but the car is taxed all year round just Incase we get a dry spell, if we’re lucky ha !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Seems almost all of us take them off the road then.

Does anyone else fettle it whilst off the road or just stick it under a cover?

·
Lincolnshire Area Rep
2,271 Posts
Never stopped using my skylines during the winter and never had any rust issues. I do make sure they are treated and I clean my cars a lot. Last week wasn't fun as the water had turned to ice on the roof mid wash which wasn't fun.

·
Always sideways
4,234 Posts
What sort of stuff have you been doing bud ?
I've changed the brake discs, pads, replaced the lines with braided hoses and flushed the system to new fluid. I've also swapped my HKS with a Ganador titanium exhaust - I'm looking forward to hearing the difference!

I've sent my clocks off to have the mileage corrected and while the dash is in bits I'm trying to trace an intermittent fault with the stereo. I've also got a replacement a/c control unit to fit as the fascia on my current one is broken.

While the car's in the air I plan to raise the ride height a little to make it a bit more forgiving, I'm replacing the 'mix and match' tyres for a set of Avon's too.

Finally I plan to strip the boot trim and give the whole lot a good clean and paint.

Apart from that, not much! ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts