Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
well i was in the gf's car that i am a named driver on and i was stopped by a traffic cop who told me i had no insurance! turns out that after we phoned the insurance company they had made a mistake of not transferring our policy over to the new car even tho they said it was now insured :swear:

anyway i got a fixed 6 points but was told i can appeal at court if i wanted.
insurance company wont take any responsibility so i cant use that in court but as i have been doing vehicle related jobs over the years i need a licence with a max of 3 points
due to most employer's work/trade insurance policys, can i fight with that as it stops me working in the industry i know and love? i mean i was totally unaware being a named driver and need a clean licence for jobs

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
does your trade policy not cover you?

If not, then you need to go and see a solicitor asap. The problem you have is that its your word against the insurance companys if you dont have any proof they changed the policy.

guess if you go to court then you stand a chance of geeting the same punishment along with court costs. You may be able to get the points lowered and a bigger fine. Depends on the judge tho, imagaine how many people say this to try and get away with it.

Maybe a phone bill with proof of you phoning them when the car was exchanged, tied in with log book dates etc.

·
516ATF and RWD......Nutter!!
1,685 Posts
Most insurance companies record calls for training....ask for a copy of the phone call.

Didn't they send out new documents for you to check???

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
we dont have trade insurance, i just mean the garages i have worked at always say 3 points max as the insurance they use wont cover a employee to drive customer cars.

we have heard the call that was recorded where gf wanted to swap her policy but also inquired about the fully comp cover to let her drive other vehicles, sounds like the insurance company got mixed up and fully comp'd her old car instead of transferring the policy

·
Highland/North Scotland Area Rep
4,160 Posts
a old insurance company a good few years ago did something like this to me and managed to cancel my insurance and then i got pulled over and told i didnt have insurance ..nice...managed to get new insurance sorted out the same day and got away with it ..i was lucky i suppose thou

hope you get this sorted mate

·
Administrator
25,962 Posts
unfortunately mate its down to you to ensure your insured however if you can get a copy of the call it may help you with as u could take it to the police and see what they say.

·
Registered
836 Posts
if you have fully comp insurance on any other vehicle then your usually covered to drive any other car with the permission of the owner.
Regards, Thwish

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
i know i told them i can very easily insure it on the spot and that they could even check it was insured but he said no and i needed a insurance certificate on me there and then, he also impounded the car till one was taken

i was told by gf it was 110% insured as i wouldn't have driven it.

i think if fully comp the car you use most be insured by the owner

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
if the insurance wasnt transfered to the new car does that mean that your girlfriend wasnt insured for it eather?

when plod do the number plate check thing its tax insurance and mot they check on the databases.. if one comes back as bad then your gona get pulled..

if the car wasnt insured for anyone, then you wont be able to use your insurance on your own car to cover you legally

guy at work wife got pulled last year for this reason, turns out the bank had stopped paying the standing order on his insurance payments months before.. his wife got the six points and the fine, and the insurance companys view was.. your fine was less than the payments you didnt make, so you done allright..

the fact that the insurance company never got in touch to say the payments had stopped or the policy had been cancelled didnt seem to matter..

·
Registered
2,970 Posts

we have heard the call that was recorded where gf wanted to swap her policy but also inquired about the fully comp cover to let her drive other vehicles, sounds like the insurance company got mixed up and fully comp'd her old car instead of transferring the policy
so this recording, does it sound clear that its there mistake or your girlfriends? If its there mistake then go to court. (see a solicitor first)

If its the girlfriends fault-- i would be looking on dating direct for a new one!

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
lol i think its her fault but i'm gunna get a copy of the recording and see if i can use it if not then i'll have to bite the bullet and take it :(

anyone know how it'll affect my own insurance? ie price wise

·
Registered
836 Posts
im covered to drive anyones car with my main car policy and it came as standard, i didn't ask for it. Pretty sure i've had it on just about every
Policy i've had too. I'd check your main car policy for the
Section that says, your allowed to drive another car as long as its with the permission of the owner and not hired, or something to that extent.
Regards, Thwish

·
Choo Choo
1,254 Posts
How weird is this!!! I got pulled in my Skyline no insurance came up on there screen which they showed me!! I said oh that's weird as i informed my insurance company of my registration number (AXA Trade)!!! They said OK mate no worries, talked about my car for 10-20 mins didn't mention that i didn't have any tax and my front number plate was illegal then sent me on my way!

I had no certificate or anything!! My advise is move to Dorset!!

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
deathwish i think most fully comp policys allow you to drive any othe car, but the main thing is that the other car has to be insured by someone..

other wise we'd all be insuring nissan micras and driving our mums skylines wouldnt we.

·
Administrator
23,136 Posts
I'm a big advocate for holding up your hands when you're in the wrong but in this case I'd fight it all the way.

·
Tyne/Wear/Tees Arse Rep/Gtr Shop Rep
11,412 Posts
no insurance or a IN10 is a big increase on your insurance

i used to get pulled for no insurance all the time with my traders policy before the law changed and made the insurers update the MID

·
Registered
338 Posts
deathwish i think most fully comp policys allow you to drive any othe car, but the main thing is that the other car has to be insured by someone..

other wise we'd all be insuring nissan micras and driving our mums skylines wouldnt we.
:iagree:LABRAT is spot on with this, the vehicle must have a current policy running on it, as far as cover goes you are only covered third party only! I'm sure about that, but need someone like dan @ Aplan to confirm it.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts