Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Earlier today I picked up Leanne from work, drove down the dual carriageway, went round the roundabout at about 15 - 20mph (Nice surface perfectly dry and very small roundabout which I drive round all the time with no problems), I try to exit the roundabout at about 10mph, the exit road is tarmac and has not dried out as well as the rest of the road surounding it, front end starts to slide, take foot off gas in order for front end to get grip, front end grips but back end goes out a little, re-apply gas and correct steering, hit another greasy patch and rear end goes outanyway and swings to my left, correct steering with opposite lock, thought I had caught the skid as got grip for a second but then another greasy patch throws the rear end out to the right of me, car almost hits the 180 degree spin mark when I catch it, rear end just starts doing whatever it wants at this point, car finally gets grip on a dry part of the road, unfortunately I was facing the right hand kerb at the time. I now cannot steer, both wheels are pointed inwards, when the steering wheel is straight neither wheel is straight, tyre is ****ed on drivers side and so is the wheel, not sure of the full extent of the damage yet but have a mechanic coming round tomorrow night to look at it for me. Boy am I ****ED OFF!

Sorry rant over.

·
Dandy Highwayman
1,314 Posts
bad luck - not much you can do about that - hope its just the tracking

its the weather for it - you and jamie have sustained damage , ahapatrige had a hairy moment oo er mrs

·
Devils disciple
860 Posts
bad luck mate is all i can say life is a ***** at times.

·
Banned
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I have a feeling that the Limp Bizkit bass line going through my 12" Sub in the boot may have upset the rear wheel steer on it at the same moment as I hit the greasy patch of road and it just made it worse. If you get my meaning. I just can't believe that I've had the Capri, the Supra, the Jag and the Beemer, all rear wheel drive with no front wheel assistance or rear wheel steer etc and this has never happened to me ever before. Also was so weird for it to happen when I wasn't even giving it some. Infact I was giving it very little and was kind of pottering round the roundabout like an old man. If I had been gunning it or showing off etc I could understand it but the fact I was being cautious makes me think the rear wheel steer theory is more likely.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Always happens when you least expect it.. **** still not good to hear about anyone pranging their pride and joys.. As I said to JM last night, hope all isn't as bad as seems..!!!

Ross.

·
Banned
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As mentioned in Ahas post of the same nature I think it is definately Goodyear Eagle F1 season now.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
I have them on the rear of me MR2 and rate them heavily in the wet and slippery conditons..!!!
Haven't tried them on ice yet.. Not that brave yet..!

·
Administrator
4,233 Posts
don't think any tyres are good on ice mate, not without studs anyway ;)

Sorry to hear bout the car though. Hope it's nothin to serious!

·
Banned
8,850 Posts
Ooops, seems like it was the morning for this sort of thing, we saw a Transit hiding amongst the bushes in the central reservation on the Hogs back and a Toyota that had introduced itself to the Armco on the M25 on the way to Abbey's.

Also just to help about 30 Rozzers (6 on motorbikes)at the end of the Odiham by-pass pulling motors for a spot check session in a big old layby, bloody good use of resources on an accident filled day. TWATS.

·
Banned
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had Eagle F1s on the Supra all round and they were amazing in the wet. You could litterally THROW that car into ANY corner you liked wet or dry and they would grip like Superglue between ya fingers.

Yeah it has been an accident filled day here in Donny too. Was another accident about 30 minutes after mine just a mile up the road the recovery guy told me when he arrived. Luckily mine was not involving any other drivers.

I've been thinking quite alot since it happened trying to remember exactly what happened and how, every little intricate detail (Trying to understand and make sense of it all as humans insist on doing with everything) and one thing that has temporarily eased my pain (Until my mechanic tells me otherwise) is that I didn't hit the kurb very hard. I'm not even sure I was doing 10mph when it actually hit the kurb. If I had been going faster than 10mph I reckon I would have actually gone over it instead of bouncing off it. Hoping therefore that I have litterally just snapped a track rod control arm and nackered my drivers wheel. At least that way won't need to claim on insurance just buy a new track rod arm, fit it myself and buy some new wheels and tyres on finance. Fingers crossed for me please everyone.

·
Banned
3,280 Posts
Really bad luck there mate. Hope it's not too serious for ya!

Plus another vote for the Goodyear F1's. Well impressed with mine, both in wet and dry weather.

·
Banned
5,275 Posts
Sorry to hear it mate but I HAVE F1's on, so if it's ice or diesel nothings gonna help us, hope you've not got too much damage

·
Opinionated *unt
1,593 Posts
Bad news mate :)

I've had Goodyear F1's on since the spring and they have been very good, but seem to have gone off a bit this winter. Going to be buying Bridgestone next.

·
Registered
6,536 Posts
Richard Bell said:
Sure I`ll agree but the GTR 4WD will not work if you take your foot off the gas :) I soon gasped this after many a close shave!!!
I remember my first lesson in 4WD to 0WD from backing off and not having the kahounas to stay on it far too well:(

·
Banned
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hiya guys. Sorry I've been offline for a while. As you all know I've just moved again and litterally the internet was finally hooked up by Telewest about half an hour ago. I agree completely Rich but unfortunately I did try and stay on the throttle at first but it seemed to be making it worse. I am becoming more and more convinced it was because of the bassline coming through the 12" sub in the boot throwing the rears around. Anyway damage report so far was just the lower suspension arm and ball joints on the drivers side so waiting for that to arrive tomorrow from Abbey, fit it and find out wether or not my wheel bearing and hub are ok. Also need to pray my tyre is ok and just a little deflated rather than ****ed and that my wheel aint too buckled.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts