Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried 100 watt headlight bulbs, esp in an R33?

I used to have a Calibra and because the lights were so narrow in that I could not use 100 watt bulbs. The bulbs overheated and melted the solder that fixed the base to the chassis! Other people found that it melted the headlight reflector ...

Before I melt something expensive, does anyone know whether the R33 lights and wiring are OK with 100 watt bulbs?

·
Banned
1,743 Posts
I thought it was supposed to be the gearing in Vauxhalls that people said was made out of plastic?

·
Old Git
4,826 Posts
I have had 130Watt bulbs in my 200SX for the last year and nothings melted yet. Off-road use of course;)

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
beachboy

you hit the nail on the head - price! I can get four 100w bulbs for about 30 quid ...

What are the details of the HID conversion that you're referring to anyway? Price and colour temp?

·
Opinionated *unt
1,593 Posts
Does the HID conversion include the headlamp washer system? It is a legal requirement with HID.

·
Registered
6,536 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
15 quid isn't bad is it, I'll join later in the week (in a hurry to go out now).

·
Registered
114 Posts
The HID mod to the high beam is well worth the money IMHO
I had no problem with the MOT even though i've now got HID on the low & high beam.

Some pic's of the results....

Low Beam

High Beam using an H1 4100K lamp.

Cheers,

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Rob, you seem to live fairly close to me. Do you mind if we meet up at some point so that I can see how much better your lights are than mine?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Any idea what colour temp they use in production cars such as the Mercs etc?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts