Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We remapped our Skyline last week. The first time on the dyno we hit [email protected] but found the head gasket was failing. We pulled the head off and changed the head gasket for a metal one and ARPs to clamp it down properly.

On the rollers again and we hit [email protected] and [email protected] on 109 octane race fuel and then [email protected] and [email protected] on pump fuel :D

Thats on a stock engine bar metal head gasket and ARP stud and nut kit! :D

Sadly we then killed the engine due to oil surge whilst testing at Brands Hatch :shakehead: Doh!

We have another engine landing tommorrow so the car will be up and running again soon. Im just going to have to do some serious oil control work to raise its ability to stop surge.

Im certainly pushing the envelope for you guys though, you sit back and watch me destroy numerous engines in my quest for stupid power from a standard lump! :guiness:

Attachments

·
Administrator
14,725 Posts
Excellent work Bren, Will look forward to the results and an mods that become available.

·
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It was a TD06, its now a TD06 kit but with a Garrett GT35R turbo :)

Thats still on standard head and cams! Awsome engines these RB25s but DONT underestimate how crap their oil control system is. Ill let you guys know how we get round the surge issues :)

·
Belgium/Netherlands Area Rep
2,060 Posts
looking forward to see how this works out
and what we can learn from your testing :D
how thick headgasket are you running ?

·
Administrator
14,725 Posts
lose'ing 90 horses from the fly to the wheels is a lot isnt it bren ?

Nope thats about right, remember a GTS losses about 14% through transmission, so the more BHP you have the more you lose.

·
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Its a 1.8mm head gasket.

Ive just had another gasket land with an oil restrictor. The replacement engine has also just been dropped off at the tuners. Im going round to see them later to finalise plans in regards to sorting the oil control issues and return from the head to the sump.

90bhp is the figure the Dyno Dynamics rolling road gives, Im just posting the numbers, make of them what you wish. Thats why I posted @ fly and @ wheels. Bear in mind that we run a treacle like oil in the box (Redline Shockproof) and sticky track tyres, both of which will cause a fair whack of drag. Although having said that I dont believe the DD rollers actually measure drive train drag on run down, they have them all pre calculated and when you tell the kit what car youre running it already has a transmission loss.

I might be wrong though :)

Chris has already offered to help, Im appriciated of anything info he can give as I know hes a knowledgable guy and runs a GTST of his own :)

·
Seasoned Member
4,504 Posts
So hows the box coping? I heard you blew the last one up at 500bhp :D

·
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
We blew two standard boxes but we are now on a PPG 5 speed dog box. Clutchless up and down shifts, fooking awesome :D Lightning fast, Ill have to get some footage but the speed at which it changes cogs is astonishing. You preload the lever ready for the next gear and just lift off the throttle when you want to change. The slight release in tension in the drivetrain allows the dogs to unlock and you can get the next gear.

That means you can change gear literally as fast as you can move the lever. Imagine accelerating hard in 2nd with 500+bhp whlst pushing the lever accross the gate from 2nd to 3rd. As you approach the limiter, lift off the throttle a tiny bit and the lever shoots straight through the gate into third. As fast as you can lift and slam the htrottle back down youve shifted a cog. All without touching the clutch.

You can also do it by hitting the limiter. The ignition cut releases some of the strain int he drivetrain and so the box swaps cogs. That allows you to keep off the clutch AND keep the throttle planted!

Sooooooooooooooooooo cool :D

You can also do clutchless downchanges.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts