Skyline Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im having some issues with the avcr in my skyline its saying its running 1.28 bar ar tick over and the car wont boost past .6 bar although its supposed to go to 1 bar the boost control solenoid is making a really loud ticking noise aswell is it tottaly ****ed or is there anything i can do to fix it

·
Registered
8,411 Posts
Check all the connections!

If all good might be your pressure sensor going mad.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
all the wire connections are good and there is no pipes leaking i was told it was the main box is there anywhere in england i can get replacement parts for the avcr

·
Registered
8,411 Posts
You can buy the solenoid valve, the pressure sensor and the little air filter for the pressure sensor separately. But if your main unit is f*cked then you're too as this one can't be bought on its own afaik.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so how do i find out what one it is and where is the cheapest place to buy a new kit if i need it

·
Registered
8,411 Posts
Well the solenoid you can at least check roughly as it should give a realtively loud cklicking noise when operating. You can normally hear that inside the car while boosting. The pressure sensor you can get the idea if you compare the boost reading on your AVC-R with another source, i.e. an external boost gauge. If they are both fine and working and all pipes/hoses/connections are 100% ok then there's only the main unit left to be faulty. To be honest though, I doubt it, as so far I never heard of a main unit going kaput on the AVC-R. Only the display on it due to vibrations etc.

AVC-Rs are relatively hard to get at the moment. And they're not going for cheap either.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well the boost gauge in the car reads right but the boost gauge on the avcr is reading 1.28 bar when the turbo aint doing anything and the solenoid is clicking really loud even when the turbo is off boost

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
no because it was set up at rising sun and since then i havent touched it the gf wouldnt dare and no one else knew it was in my glove box so therefore wouldnt touch it

·
tdi power
13,297 Posts
im sorry but if anyone thinks they can hear the solinoid over the sound of the engine and exhaust there living in la la land

if its clicking its tits off when at idle then something defo aint right.

have you removed all the pipes to it and had a good close look at them as just giving them a wiggle on the car aint going to do anything.

also give all the contacts of the electrical plugs on the avcr bits a good look over and clean if needed.

if your going to start to replace bits you will prob be better off just buying a new boost controller from someone in the uk as you may end up buying parts, using them then finding out the old ones work and you have then wasted money.

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
Er I'm sorry but I can hear mine when its boosting over the engine and the exhaust and its always done it from day it was installed and its fine.

I'm I in lar lar land?

·
Registered
28 Posts
im sorry but if anyone thinks they can hear the solinoid over the sound of the engine and exhaust there living in la la land
Hey, I live there :funny:

(because I can hear mine...)

It makes a LOT of difference to noise levels depending on where it's mounted ;)

To the OP,

Make sure all your pipework is ok,
Make sure the filter is ok,

If they are:
Try reinitialising the unit, you'll lose all your settings, but it's pretty easy to set it back up. There's a few guides on the net if you get stuck...

·
tdi power
13,297 Posts
im sorry but no solinoid is that noisy you can hear it over a straight six turbo engine

i aint heard on neither of my 33's or any of my mates turbo cars

·
AKA RSP
4,762 Posts
You will be able to hear it if its been mounted directly to the body as it vibrates throught he car :) They come with rubber pads to insulate the solonoid.

Dave, I would first double chech the wiring to the pressure sensor in the engine bay and if it is ok I would say that it may need a new sensor as I have had a few fail.

Richard

·
Registered
8,411 Posts
Mate if Ian says its so, its written in stone :D
Ian is just talking out his la la land a** again - LOL

You can hear the solenoid clicking, especially when mounted directly to the chassis as Richard said. But even with the little rubber piece that comes with it to dampen the noise you can still hear it. I can on my R34 and mine is far away from being quiet running a Blitz Nur Spec R exhaust and some other silly things.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts