Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Gets Blown by Twins :D
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All - I fitted this last night and today took it for it's 1st real drive since. When driving on 1/4 to 1/2 throttle after a few seconds (when boost starts) the intake noise stops and starts for a few seconds (almost sounds like coughing!) then the engine loses all power (almost like putting the brakes on). It's almost like its being starved of air! However on 3/4 to full the engine is fine.

It feels like the air is cavitating/pulsing which is causing the engine to lurch.

All the pipes are done up ok so why would this happen only on low throttle positions?

I'll monitor the AFM volts next time it happens to see if thats any help.

Cheers..............................................IAnH

·
Banned
5,275 Posts
Check the seal on the AFM>Filter, O ring usually, this may be leaking

Oh, and did you take the wrapper off before fitting it?:D

S

·
0 Posts
dis plug and re plug the AFM - had this problem on jacqui's and that sorted it.

Simon

·
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Update - I've tightened the adjuster on the BOV and it's moved the gasping further up the throttle range (ie it's nearer 1/2 way now). BOV all tight, clamps all tight etc.

Will try the AFM reset later/tomorrow.

Sco-J - I got it from www.greenline.jp for...............................£40 inc shipping!! (6607 yen)

·
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well Buster's right again, it was the HKS BOV playing silly beggars. I swapped the display on the boost controller to Graph and this is whats happening.

At 1/4 to 1/2 throttle the boost raises to 0.2/3 then stops. At this point the BOV doesn't know wether to open or stay closed and "flutters" open/closed which is the Gasping sound.

Put the recirc back on, problem gone and you can still hear the psssh through the filter.

Anyone wanna HKS BOV?........................Anyone?

N

·
0 Posts
i am actually glad 2 hear that people are thinking , who wants that shitty PIIIIISST noise any way , i know the toymota lot & the MAX flower lot

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have a BOV on my car and am considering removing it. The car came with it fitted so i don't have the original parts.

Whats involved, what bits do i need to get it recirculating again and hopefully cure my stalling problem.

·
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You need the recirc valve, 2 jubilee clips and a 3 inch long rubber pipe that goes from the recirc dump valve to the recirc pipe. There should still be the breather pipe (thin pipe going from Dump to Intake manifold) fitted.

Take off the BOV (2 x 12mm bolts and keep the gasket) and remove the breather pipe from it. Attach the rubber pipe to the recirc valve with a jubilee clip and then to the recirc pipe (should be shiney metal pipe on passenger side below dump valve). Then bolt the recirc valve back onto the flange (remember the gasket) and attach the breather valve.

Tomorrow I'll take some piccy's and do a How To.

Hope that helps........................................IanH

1 - 15 of 15 Posts