Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the weekend I fitted an Apexi Power Intake, since the instructions were all in Japanese I just wanted to check if at least from the photo below I have installed it correctly??

AND also what sound is it supposed to make? It seems to make a whoosh/hiss kind of sound when revving/under load/on boost and then a dump valve kind of sound when changing gear or letting off the throttle suddenly. I don't have a BOV and I'm pretty sure the noise is coming from the new Apexi intake as I pulled on the throttle whilst under the bonnet and listened right next to it. I think I was expecting more of a roar... but still a whoosh is good and hopefully will lead to a little more power :)

:cheers:

·
Seasoned member
4,785 Posts
the noise is great
welcome to the whoooosh

·
Stoke-on-Trent
3,110 Posts
Yep fitted correct,you need to make yourself a heat shield from aluminium to seal it off from rest of engine bay to get the best out of it.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good! Thanks for the replies. I do quite like the noise it makes! I read somewhere people have experienced gains of around 10bhp? I'm tempted to see if it has made a difference, it was rolling roaded at 304BHP previously with just a de-cat.

Showa, the AFM is plugged in but maybe it's not clear in the photo. Thanks though :)

·
Registered
760 Posts
I might be wrong but aint the fluttering whoosh noise the turbo stooling when backing off as he hasnt got a dump valve, if so, this is applying unwanted stress on the compressor wheel, something a standard turbo really dont need, or any turbo for that matter?!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
loz dog said:
I might be wrong but aint the fluttering whoosh noise the turbo stooling when backing off as he hasnt got a dump valve, if so, this is applying unwanted stress on the compressor wheel, something a standard turbo really dont need, or any turbo for that matter?!
Well I do have a dump valve but it's just the standard recirculating type. Which it seems will cause the whooshing noise I can now hear as some of the excess air is vented back through the induction cone as I come off the throttle, it's just now a lot louder than when I had a standard airbox (which deadens the sound). :)

·
i'm the daddy !!
1,198 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Glyn...

when i had a kit on my old gtst it made a good sound and a tiny bit more power...throttle response is a touch better and car seemed to pull a bit better at higher revs....not bad for the cost of the kits..

came into its own when car had downpipes, decat, and a bit more boost...car really flew then and made some great noises...!!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
pitbull said:
how the hell did you get 304bhp with just a decat?
I have no idea actually! But that's what the rolling road report says, albeit done by the previous owner. I couldn't see any signs of any mods removed, all original! So just the de-cat.

Norm power 302 BHP
Engine output 304.5 BHP
Wheel output 248 BHP
Drag output 56.5 BHP
Max. power at 108mph or 6140 rpm
Torque 260 lbf-ft
Max. torque at 103mph or 5900 rpm

I hope it wasn't inaccurate... tempted to get it done again myself :)

·
4,143 Posts
i know the gtt puts out alittle more power than a gtst but that really good power.most poeple who spent 2k-4k on there cars only get that.

P

·
0 Posts
DVDA 1980 said:
powerplay where did you get that heat shield?????? I was after one that used the original air feed from the top of the engine. Looks good too!!
..thats a perspex lid just for information! :D
chipper found this guy on the austrailia skylines forum (who made 'em),and organised the group buy.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts