Skyline Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Hello, little lady!
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of weeks ago I had to replace the alternator on my GTS as the car died on me in traffic and would not restart - completely flat battery.

Tonight I came out of the bowling alley after 2-3 hrs, found that I'd left my headlights on and as a result the alarm/immobilizer had gone doo-lally and the car wouldn't start.

Lucky for me I have a Hilka portable battery at home 5 minutes away and Dad was able to bring it out to me.

I'm obviously looking to get a new battery tomorrow but am left wondering wether I'm just having a spot of bad luck or have I got to be alot more careful with the electrics on this car?

Surely 2-3 hrs lights on after a 1/2 hr drive isn't enough to kill a good battery - or is it?

:confused:

J.

·
Devils disciple
860 Posts
this may sound silly but how do you know the battery was a good one?did you test it when flat?what was the voltage reading if so?was it new?was it suitable for the car? mine played up and was on the way out tested when battery was flat, it actually gave out 11 volts anything under 10 volts = knackered usually but it also had a weak cell which mean't it discharged rapidly when not in use,new battery no more problems.

·
M's Factory
5,240 Posts
Right just to clarify the batteries might not be the best in the world as the ones in our cars are actually the same as the Micra anyhow.

So go figure that they are not going to last a long time with electrics left on when the car is not in use.

·
Old Member
814 Posts
Good point sarky, I was going to mention the Micra battery m'self, just in case someone goes to the expense of buying a proper one off a dealer.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Skyline Batteries

Yes, they are notoriously bad.
If I didn't use the car the battery would be flat in 3 days (winter) and 5 days (summer).
I had an uprated one put in and even now I daren't have the music on with the ignition off.
I now keep it on trickle charge the whole time using a Multimate.

Vincenzo

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Wacky!

I've still got the battery mine came off the boat with, and its happy to sit for 4 or 5 days no problem (doesn't happen often tho), and equally, its happy to run my DVD player, screen, amp and sub (albeit thru a 1 farad cap) for 3 hours without a hint of a glitch.

Have I got a freaky battery then? Its got a wee window in the top which is green when all's well, fades thru black to red if it get low on juice. Never seen it beyond black.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts